Battle around Narwa 1944

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

MD650
Supporter

Battle around Narwa 1944

Post by MD650 »

Is there anybody that have som information about the battles around Narwa during 1944 and especially 20. SS-Grenadier.division?

Thanks in advance

8)
Sigurd Helge
Supporter

Post by Sigurd Helge »

MD650,

Wilhelm Tieke's "Tragödie um die treue" is THE book in German (now also available in English) on the battles around Narwa and the fate of the III.(Germ.) SS-Pz.Kps.
Contains a lot of info, also about Estonian volunteers.

I know the Estonians have published several books on the subject the last few years. Unfortunately my first lamguage is NOT Estonian... Perhaps some Estonian member could help the forum with some info on the subject.

Regards,
~Sigurd
GMY
~Sigurd Helge

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who claim they've found it"
sturmmann

Post by sturmmann »

what do you need to know?
MD650
Supporter

Post by MD650 »

sturmmann wrote:what do you need to know?
Places,units and so on. I´m going to visit the area next summer and I want to get some information about it. For the moment I do not have the picture about the fightings during 1944.

:D
MD650
Supporter

Post by MD650 »

Sigurd Helge wrote:MD650,

Wilhelm Tieke's "Tragödie um die treue" is THE book in German (now also available in English) on the battles around Narwa and the fate of the III.(Germ.) SS-Pz.Kps.
Contains a lot of info, also about Estonian volunteers.

Regards,
~Sigurd
I have just ordered the english version.
:D
sturmmann

Post by sturmmann »

you should look http://www.retrotroops.com there are some pictures about battles in "sinimäe". in english it would be "bluemountain" or something like that. pictures in that page are taken now not at war time.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Not sure if you tried a search on this forum as well or not, but there was already in particular one long and detailed posting about the battle.
MD650
Supporter

Post by MD650 »

Jason Pipes wrote:Not sure if you tried a search on this forum as well or not, but there was already in particular one long and detailed posting about the battle.
I think I have alrady print out that thread already... but I will try a search on the forum......

8)
MD650
Supporter

Post by MD650 »

I find some information about hard fightings south of the town of Tarttu in the late summer 1944.

Anybody who have some more about that?
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

In additio the Tragedy of the Faithful (A great detailed book) try and look for Steve Newtons "Retreat from Leningrad"
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die