Invasion Of Yugoslavia

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Wolf

Invasion Of Yugoslavia

Post by Wolf »

Can any body help me, i would like to know what fighting took place in slovenia and croatia and what happened.
"What is a world without war"
El Savior

Post by El Savior »

You'll find Germany's 1941 Yugoslavian campaign in Feldgrau's Campaign -link http://feldgrau.com/campaign.html. I believe Russians reached Yugoslavia in 1944 or 1945.

Couple maps:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/ ... p%2017.htm
http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/ ... p%2031.htm

El Savior
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Wolf,

In some countries of Eastern Europe it was the practice to move minority troops away from their home areas. Thus the Poles posted their unreliable Ukrainian conscripts to divisions based in western Poland.

However, because Yugoslavia was meant to be a state for all South Slavs (Serbs, Croats, Slovenes, Macedonians, Bosnians) this was politically unacceptable. It was presumed that all Yugoslavs were equally ready to defend their own homes. As a result the Yugoslav Army mobilised Slovene-manned divisions in Slovenia and Croat-manned divisions in Croatia.

However, these were unreliable because Yugoslavia had been undergoing an internal political struggle that pitched the Croats, in particular, against the dominant Serbs. In the army there was widespread resentment by all minorities that most officers were Serbs.

As a result, the Yugoslav divisions defending Slovenia and especially Croatia suffered failures of reservists to mobilise and internal unrest, disobedience of orders and refusals to leave depots amongst those that did respond. As there were no major Serb-manned formations in either Croatia and Slovenia to impose Yugoslav central authority, there was, in effect, no defence put up in either Slovenia or Croatia. (The only brief exception seems to have been the regular border guards in a few areas.)

On top of this was the fact that Germany and Italy attacked Yugoslavia before its mobilisation was properly underway, so even Serb formations were unprepared, let alone those of the reluctant minorities.

In short, virtually no combat took place in Slovenia or Croatia. Given that the Germans suffered only about 600 dead in the whole campaign, it seems unlikely that their dead in Croatia and Slovenia was more than a few dozen, and conceivably even less.

Cheers,

Sid.
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Sid is right.

Here in Slovenia weren't any big battles. Yugoslav army had blown some bridges (like those in Maribor/Marburg), destroyed some roads, tunnels,... but that's it. On another hand they did attacked some Italian positions on Yugoslav (Slovenian)-Italian border.
Slovenija gre naprej!
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

hello, I knew about Yogoslavian activity along the Albanian border and around Zara in April 1941 but I didn't know anything along the Venezia Giulia border (for Fiume I have go the original proceeding and no military initiative by the Yugoslavian forces is recorded during all the campaign). Are further details available?
EC

PS Please, do not begin World War IV again for the names I used. You can speak about Beograd ect. and we go on with a fifty fifty basis, OK?EC
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

WWIV is on! :wink: :D

OK, this is what could I found in my library.

On 8.4. Italian Btl. from 3. Alpine-Detachment with a help of Zug from 538. (Germ.) Div. attacked and captured Rateče, Podkoren, Kranjsko Goro. Some other Italian Alpine Patrol had captured empty Yugoslav border station under Mt. Bogatin.

On the night from 8. to 9.4. group of about 30 Yugoslav border guards attacked Italian teritorry (crossed border north of Podlašič by Cerkno, came to Novaki, but pulled back same night (there were no fights :? ).

More to come...
Slovenija gre naprej!
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Thank You, I'm wating for the next batch. EC
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Sorry for that. :(

Here you go.

From then on main body of 2. Italian army was reorganizing for attack. 11. Corps was given 1. "quick" (could be also fast - Slov. translation) Div. and was ordered to attack against Ljubljana and Dolenjska region, 6. Corps was ordered to advance in direction of St. Peter na Krasu (now Pivka)- Stari Trg pri Lozu-Cabar-Brod na Kolpi. On 9.4. 3. Alpine Detachment was advancing in valley of river Sava and came to Gozd (now Gozd Martuljek), where was stoped by volunteers from Jesenice (town in Slovenia) on position Martuljek - Srednji Vrh. Fight lasted all day. When volunnteers didn't have any more ammo they retried to Zirovnica, where they found out that army left the town already. They then hide their weapons.

Between Planina and Rakek 24. Inf.Rgt. "Como" of Ital.Div. "Isonzo" was involved in highy fights with Yugoslav border-guards for town of Stari grad.

More to come tomorrow...
Slovenija gre naprej!
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Some more:

On 10.4. has HQ of 2. Ital. Army issued an order to start new offensive of 11. Corps against undefendened NW Slovenia. The Corps has 3 columns - first was 3. Alpine Detachment (from now one 3. AD - still proceding in valley of Sava), second was Div. "Re" (From area Medvedje Brdo-Godovič moved to Trate-Stara Vrhnika-Dobrovo pri Šetvidu and the 3. was Div. "ISonzo" (Planina-Logatec-Vrhnika-Brezovica). On this day Ital. Alpines captured Dovje and Mojstrana.

On the next day army moved. 3. AD was moving in valley of Selška Sora, came to Zali log nad Železniki. "Re" came near to Logatec, stoped by blown-up bridge. But when Army's HQ realized that road to Vrhnika is free(no Yugo. soldiers), formed a special fast unit from 11. Berselleri (sp) Rgt and Btl. of Light Armour Vehicles and sent this unit to captured Ljubljana. On 11.4. Italian army came to Ljubljana (no Yugo. soldiers, all had left) at 17.30 and captured Slovenian capitol.

3. AD had on 12.4. captured Radovljica and Selce, Isonzo Div. part of Ljubljansko barje and bridges on Sava river. On 13.4. had 3. AD captured Kranj, Šenčur and Škofjo Loko, Div. Isonzo moved to Turjak and Velike Lašče, 11. Bers.Rgt. with Light Arm.Veh. captured to valley of Krka to Dolenjske Toplice.

On 14.4. Italian Army had stoped because they reached their goals.
Slovenija gre naprej!