Battle for the Domodossola (Ossola) Republic - Italy 1944

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

dp_burke

Battle for the Domodossola (Ossola) Republic - Italy 1944

Post by dp_burke »

Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone knew of an OOB for the forces involved in the German counterattack on the Italian partisan republic of Domodossola (Free Partisan Republic of Ossola) in Autumn 1944. I do know that SS-Brigadeführer Willy Tensfeld commanded all or part of the force and that at the time he was SS und Polizeiführer Oberitalien-West. I would understand then that the OOB woudl probably be a vast mix of SS police and foreign units probaly. If anyone knows, can they drop a few lines.

regards
Dennis Burke
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Great that you post this question as it's something I've been looking into myself. I will poke around in my resources and see what I can come up with for you ASAP.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Here is what I was able to come up with in my quick search over my resources.

On October 10th, 1944, Operation Avanti was launched by a combined German-Italian combat group on the so-called "Free Reublic of the Ossola Valley" near the Swiss border in the north of Italy.

A general source, "The Liberation of Italy" by Luigi Villari states that this force consisted of one Italian Black Brigade, sme men of the Republican National Guard, portions of the Folgore Division and some Germans.

A much more detailed source, an unpublished article I have on the Italian Gruppo Corazzato Leonessa, lists the first German-Italian unit to enter Domodossola as Kamfgruppe Noweck under the command of Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei Friedrich Noweck. Noweck was also the commander of the 59.Waffen Fusilier Bataillon der SS Debica. Kampfgruppe Noweck also consisted of the GNR Assault Btl Venezia Giulia and portions of the Tank Battalion Leonessa.

A more detailed oob still eludes me but this is fairly detailed for starters I think!
dp_burke

OSSALO REPUBLIC

Post by dp_burke »

THANKS JASON,

MY INTEREST WAS STRIRRED BY A PART IN RICHARD DOHERTY'S BOOK IRISH VOLUNTEERS IN HTE SECOND WORLD WAR. THERE IS MENTION OF AN IRISH MAN SERVING WITH BRITISH INTELIGENCE IN SWITZERLAND - IF I RECALL CORRECT!

IF I FIND OUT ANYTHING I WILL LET YOU KNOW BUT THATS UNLIKLY!!

THANKS AGAIN

DENNIS
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

I have a feeling that Cossack units may have been involved. In the dim recesses of my memory I seem to recall that Cossacks were engaged in such an operation in Northern Italy at about this time and that as a reward they were allowed to settle their families and camp followers in the area. Does anyone recall more detail of this?
MAXIS
Supporter

Operation against "Val d'Ossola Republic"

Post by MAXIS »

You'll find goods infos about this subject on
http://www.smartnews.ch
"GUIDA ALL'OSSOLA E VERBANO 1943/1945" by Raphael Rues

It's an italian site and details about german operations against partisans in Val d'Ossola and Verbano villages and towns; details protagonists also
and partisan and german/RSI units.

Hope this will be useful

Best - Max