Stalingrad POW's, Battle of the Factories, Documenteries

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

jstarman

Stalingrad POW's, Battle of the Factories, Documenteries

Post by jstarman »

I am guessing this has been covered before, but unable to find what I want from the Search area.

What happened to the Stalingrad POW's shortly after they surrendered?
Does anyone know, or is there a book which covers the POW's in greater detail than current campaign books on the market?
How many stayed in the Stalingrad area and for how long after surrender.
I read somewhere that the majority of deaths of the POW's occurred within the first 6 months of capture. Is this true? Was it from disease, or as hinted in Clark's Russo-German war, were some of them shot soon after capture? Have not been able to find detailed info on the Stalingrad POW's.

Also, what is the forum's opinion on Hans Wijers book, Battle for the Factories? Sounds good, but wondering content.

Many posts here have discussed German documenteries on WWII and Stalingrad. Which ones are the best and how good is their content? Am curious about availability. From the descriptions they sound very good.
Thanks!
John
marderII

Re: Stalingrad POW's, Battle of the Factories, Documenteries

Post by marderII »

John,

There are several excellent books on the German POW experiences. Including one by a former operations Officer. You might also refer to Russian books on this subject.

The rough facts, (please don't take this as the gospel):

91,000 Axis prisoners taken at the time of formal surrender. By spring of that following year, March 1943 up to 50,000 prisoners had died due to Typhus out break in the POW camps.

Hope this helps

MarderII