Occupation of the Croatian Islands

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Klemen, Brioni is a really Kitsch place and a boring one. We had been moved to laugh by its absurdity...it's difficult to describe :D

BTW, indipendently by your opinion about italians, is possible you and Enrico have to quarrel every time you meet? (the question is for Enrico, too)
Doug Batson

Thanks everyone

Post by Doug Batson »

Thanks for all of your help. I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. If anyone has any further information regarding which units occupied the before mentioned islands, please feel free to post.
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Hi Doug,
it's funny but the exact sentence "L'Adriatico è un nido di vespe" (The Adriatic sea ia a wasp nest, be careful) was used since 1913 by Adm. Paolo Thaon di Revel, the Commander in Chief of the Italian Navy during the First World War and the father of the MAS boats (PT in U.S. Navy style), of the mezzi d'assalto (the small attack crafts) and, in general, the tutor of the modern naval guerrilla.
Bye EC :D
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Re: Occupation of the Croatian Islands

Post by Lupo Solitario »

Doug Batson wrote: The Brijuni islands (also known as Brioni Islands)
Cres & Losinj islands
Krk
Rab
Pag
The Kornati islands
Brac
Hvar
Vis
Korcula
Mljet
Kolocep, Lopud & Sipan (The Elafit islands)
Is there someone who could tell me the italian names of those islands? I'm not sure about identification...

thanks
Lupo
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

Slovenija gre naprej!
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

In order:
Brioni
Cherso
Lussino
Veglia
Arbe
Pago
Incoronate
Brazza
Lesina
Lissa
Curzola
Meleda
Calamotta
Giuppana
Mezzo

The still latin sound of names like Incoronata still in the Croat version could give to some of our most battling readers the chance to play, once more, the usual, old song about the Italian imperialism ect ect. I remember at once, for peace love, that after the 1941 invasion many important islands of Dalmazia like Brazza, Lesina and Pago were included in the Kingdom of Croatia (or, more correctly, the Indipendent state
of Croatia; a title which always puzzled me as one of the characteristic of a state is to be indipendent and stop. To claim this very aspect was, according my modest opinion, a boomerang for the scholars of the following decades).

Hoping not to see a new, fierce (and unuseful) battle. EC
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

I didn't want to open any firefight...only I collected some data about the original question (ie which were the garrison on named islands during WW2) but cause they use italian names I wanted to be sure of answers...

Told this:

-in 1941 the garrison of Veglia was formed before spetember by 105th MG battalion after that by III/26th GAF regiment, Arbe and Pago by provisional company of 27th GAF (1st company at Arbe and 2nd at Pago). Deployed at Arbe the 314th Battery (100/17mm) and the 322nd Battery (75/27mm) too. At Veglia the 84th Art. Battalion with two 100/17mm batteries and one 75/27mm, all those units depended by V Corps Command

- Brazza, Lesina and Lissa were garrisoned by the 211th TM battalion depending by VI Corps Command

-in 1942 garrison of Veglia had been reinforced by the 5th Provisional GAF battalion until May

-At Brazza it had been placed the command of 159th coastal regiment with depending forces unknown. The 211th TM battalion was splitted between Brazza, Lissa and Lesina; it had been substitued by 10th Presdium battalion during 1942. At Curzola operated the 306th TM battalion with the III/56th Infantry and the III/32nd Artillery (detached by Marche Division) and part of 14th RGF battalion and 12th Alpine Replacement battalion

-in 1943 situation becomes confused but doen't seem there had been great changes, I got a list of more or less specified company level units on this or that island...

bye
Lupo
guille

Re: Occupation of the Croatian Islands

Post by guille »

Hi everybody, I know it is an ancient post, but before opening a new one, will try here.

My father´s family is from Lussin Losinj), I am searching data about the german authorities of the Island during WW2.

Have recolected two names, as being the Platzkommandant in different dates, Captain Mayer or Meyer and Lieutenant Horst Munck, just that, nothing more.

Also trying to get more data about operation "Inselunternehmen", by the 2 SS Panzerkorps in November 13 - 16 1943. Do not know which forces were deployed. Looking for data about execution of 150 partisans.

Thanks a lot, for any data you can tell me.

Greetings from Patagonia.

Guille