Maikop 1942 maps

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

midgardb

Maikop 1942 maps

Post by midgardb »

-Are there any maps available that provide some detail on the fighting around Maikop in August 1942? I'd like to see something that shows the movements of Wiking, and the various battlegroups (and the Soviet dispositions) as they moved on and through the city.

-Also it would be nice to find a period map of Maikop (~1942) that shows the city's layout- streets, key areas like the train station, etc.

Thank you,
Dave
John W. Howard

Re: Maikop 1942 maps

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Dave:
For what you want, you will probably need to order captured German documents from the US National Archives; foreign military studies, if any apply, from the US Center for Military History; or German military documents from the German archives. There should be some maps in any one of the three suggestions above. You should start by making a list of the divisions and Korps you have the most interest in and then searching for what is available in the three places above. The US Center for Military History is the easiest to start with; punch the 5th SS PzD in the search engine on their site and see what is there. Get back to us if you need more help. I hope this was of some help. Go Buckeyes!!!!
John W. Howard
MadDog
Associate

Re: Maikop 1942 maps

Post by MadDog »

There are more than likely Lage Ost maps for the time and location. I dont know how much it costs to have NARA copy them for you, but you can check them out on the cartography floor at NARA/College Park and scan them for free.

There should be Russian maps on the subject, and they might be available for free at the TsAMO website.

Tom