Dünaburg/Daugavpils, July 1944

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Prit
Contributor

Dünaburg/Daugavpils, July 1944

Post by Prit »

Dear all

The eminently readable, if not entirely reliable, Otto Carius suggests that the German 190 Inf.Div. was involved in the fighting for Daugavpils, but given that this division was created in the west several weeks later, it seems unlikely to be correct.

Can anyone tell me what German units - apart from Sch.Pz.Abt.502 - were in Daugavpils?

Prit
Piet Duits
Associate

Re: Dünaburg/Daugavpils, July 1944

Post by Piet Duits »

170. Infanterie-Division?
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Prit,

I presume you're talking about 1944 not 1941....

Those on my list as fighting at/near Daugavpils then, include:

II A.K.
170 I.D.
132 I.D.
215 I.D.
87 I.D.
81 I.D
61 I.D.

Also, these units apparently withdrew thru there:

I A.K.
205 I.D
290 I.D.

BR................ Jerry
When you're in command..... command!
Prit
Contributor

Post by Prit »

Jerry and Piet

That's very helpful (and commendably quick!).

Can you give me sources for this information? Also, lexikonderwehrmacht puts II Corps still with Army Detachment Narva during the summer of 1944.

Prit
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Prit,

My info is from; Withdrawal from Leningrad by Steven Newton (including that II A.K. units were transfered from AA Narva to AOK16 on 30.6.44).

Jerry
andrus
Supporter

Post by andrus »

II.Armeekorps was subordinated to Armeeabteilung Narwa on 25.August 1944. it remained with it at least until 25.September.

source: internet :D
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

andrus wrote:II.Armeekorps was subordinated to Armeeabteilung Narwa on 25.August 1944. it remained with it at least until 25.September.

source: internet :D
That's true, and that is almost a month after they withdrew from Daugavpils.

I misspoke earlier when I said II A.K. was transferred from AA Narva to AOK16 on 30.6.44, II A.K. had been with AOK16 since the beginning in Russia.

Jerry
dpast32

Post by dpast32 »

Good Afternoon Gentleman, I've been attempting, although without very much success, to obtain information regarding an Air Raid by the Soviet Air Force on Dunaburg, [ Dvinsk / Daugvapils ] Latvia which took place on 02 JULY 1944 ? We all of course are aware as to what was taking place during this specific period of time, 'Operation Bagration' of course. Although the overall Operation began a bit earlier, 22 July, IIRC, I believe this aerial attack may have been the first on Dunaburg during this particular Operation ? My research into this event is related to my documenting the circumstances surrounding a member of the II/9th Polizei Regiment who was wounded on that date due to the air raid. I have managed to determine his movements after his being injured, & have pretty much learned all I believe I will be able to pertaining to this individual. [ He was; Polizei Assistant, Arthur O. Winter, of Halle on Saale. Although assigned to an 'combat unit', he was however a member of the Verwaltungspolizei. ] He does appear to have been a bit lucky, as he did survive the War, passing away in the Bremen area in July 1976, at age 69. However, still I haven't been able to learn 'anything' concerning the above noted attack which occurred on July 02, 1944 ? If anyone happens to have 'any' information pertaining to this, & or any knowledge whatsoever, I will deeply appreciate hearing from them ! As always, any & all replies will be deeply appreciated ! THANK YOU

Best regards, Dom P. / 'dpast32'