Trip to the Ardennes

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

der alte Landser
Supporter

Trip to the Ardennes

Post by der alte Landser »

Greetings! So, I'm flying to Europe for a couple of weeks in Sep-Oct and my plan is to spend about five days in the Ardennes. I want to focus on the area of the 6. Panzerarmee operations. This will be my first visit to the Ardennes and I'm hoping some forum members can shed a bit of light for me. Here goes:

1. I've just finished Charles McDonald's 'A Time for Trumpets' and at the moment, I'm mid-way through 'Men of Steel' by Michael Reynolds. What is the general consensus in terms of how accurate and topical these books are.

2. Is it possible in the present day to follow a specific Rollbahn/KG route of advance in the 1. Pzarmee sector?

3. What are 'must see' spots in the area. Also, is a trip to the Bastogne area worth to effort due to its historical significance, considering it wasn't an objective in the northern sector.

4. Where are German cemeteries from the Ardennes campaign located in the present day?

5. Having a general knowledge of the battle itself, and familiarity with driving in Europe, is it worthwhile to hire a battlefield guide, or go it alone?

Thanks very much in advance!
Mark
Leandros
Supporter

Re: Trip to the Ardennes

Post by Leandros »

Hi, Mark, Bastogne is worthwhile. Just my opinion. You have the large US monument outside the town. On the top of it there are metal maps in the different directions where the positions of the various teams are marked out. There is a little museum by the monument and another small one inside the town. And, of course there is the Place McAuliffe in the town with a Sherman in its center.

Most of all I recommend a trip up to Eben Emael.

Fred
http://www.fredleander.com - buy my book on Operation Sea Lion
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

there is plenty of "wartourism" in Belgium,you can have battlefieldtours around Bastogne with ww2 jeeps and trucks,i will give you a link in english with loads of hotspots and you should google,i bet there will be some things you want to visit
link: http://users.skynet.be/fa531049/home/index.html

Sebastian
united we stand,divided we fall
der alte Landser
Supporter

Thanks alot for the intel, guys. I will definitely have a look at that website and also, thanks for the suggestion about Eban Emael, Leandros.

Sebastian, in Autumn, is it generally simple to find places to stay in the Ardennes without reservations, or is it better to arrange it in advance?

Thanks, Mark
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

Der alte Landser,

There are plenty hotels and b&b,but u would reccomend that you make reservations,the ardennes is not that big,you can search an hotel from where you can drive to al the places you want to see,autumn is mostly wet in the ardennes so dont forget to bring your raincoat :-)

Cheers
Seb
united we stand,divided we fall
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Clervaux is a very beautiful little town; you might try staying there for a night.
John W. Howard
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Where's you authenticity factor? Hotels? Forget that! Grab a tent and bedroll. That way, when you get tired, you can bed down right where the boys did back in '44! :up: :beer: :roll:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
der alte Landser
Supporter

Thanks for all the tips. Tom, I will have to take that bedroll idea under advisement. It sort of falls in the same category as ideas that start with "dig a foxhole"...

Mark
mellenthin
Supporter

Post by mellenthin »

2. - KG Peipers route from Scheid all the way to the Lienne. Places to visit : Baugnez museum and Kingtiger at La Gleize
- advance by Hitlerjugend div from Hollerath to Rocherath Krinkelt(is a walk through the woods)