Hello to all
; here goes some histories dealing with the German units which took part on it.................
The 2 Pz in Operation Otto.
Following the announcement of the plebiscite to be held in Austria on March 13, 1938, Hitler who had assumed command of the Wehrmacht, on February 4, 1938 took severe measures to avoid it; this was plainly the invasion of Austria. Therefore, on March 11, 1938 was issued Directive No. 1 relating to Operation Otto stating:
Supreme Commander of Armed Forces
O.K.W. L 420/38 g.Kdos I Nr. Berlin, 11.03.1938.
Re:. Operation Otto
Directive No. 1
1) I have the intention, if other means do not lead to the target, to intervene with armed forces in Austria in order to establish constitutional conditions and to prevent further violence against the German people.
2) I have the command of the whole operation.
According to my instructions will lead:
The Ob.d.H. (Army) ground operations with the 8th Army with the composition proposed by that force, and reinforcements of the Air Force, the SS and police.
The Ob.d.L. (Air Force) support from the air with the proposed forces.
The invasion of Austria was to take place as my proposal. The goal for the army will be first, the occupation of Upper Austria, Salzburg, Lower Austria, Tirol, the rapid occupation of Vienna and the security of the border between Austria and the Czech Republic.
b) Air Force
The Air Force has to hold aerial demonstrations and launching propaganda material; was to occupy the airports of Austria and subsequently transport troops to support the army as it was to be required and was to maintain combat units to fulfill special requests.
4) The forces of the Army and the Air Force foreseen for the operation should be ready to be used no later than March 12 1938 at 12:00 hours.
I reserve to myself the right to establish and to authorize permission to over flight and to cross the border.
5) The behavior of the forces must take into account the point we are not looking for war against a sister nation. It is in our interest that the whole operation is achieved without the use of force in the form of a peaceful invasion and thus to be understood by the people. Therefore, any challenge should be avoided. But if there is any resistance, it must respond with force of arms.
Austrian formations are now under German command.
6) In Germany's borders with other countries should not be taken any security measure for the time being.
Sources: Operación Otto: La Wehrmacht ocupa Austria Marzo de 1938. C. Caballero Jurado.
http://www.eaglehorse.org/3_home_statio ... /index.htm
http://www.documentarchiv.de/ns/1938/we ... _otto.html
Panzerleader. Heinz Guderian.
Cheers. Raúl M
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.