Le Paradis Map 1940

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Drew5233

Le Paradis Map 1940

Post by Drew5233 »

Hi and hello from a newbie :D

Does anyone have a picture of a map showing the positions of SS Division Totenkopf and the 2nd Bn. Royal Norfolks units around Le Cornet Malo, Le Paradis etc. between 26th May 1940 and 28th May 1940?

I'm on my second visit to the massacre site in Feb 2010 and want to get some shots of lines of advance etc. I have a bit of an idea via clues in books but a map would be great....The icing on the cake so to speak.

As for the positions of the 2nd Battalion, Royal Norfolks HQ soldiers defending the farm I've got that covered. Its the SS Company's and A,B,C,D Company's of the Norfolks I'm after.

I'm happy to buy a book(s) too if someone can confirm there is a good detailed map in it.

Cheers for any assistance.....

Andy
Drew5233

Re: Le Paradis Map 1940

Post by Drew5233 »

Ok, Anyone know where the individual SS T. Regiments and Companies were then?
Prosper Vandenbroucke
Enthusiast

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke »

Hello Drew,
Have a look over here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31289
23 posts, several maps and a lot of pictures
Regards
Prosper :wink:
Drew5233

Post by Drew5233 »

Many thanks for the tip/link.....However the typed info I already know and the detailed map is of Arras which was before what I'm looking for.

Regards
Andy
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Drew, I checked through Montefiore's Dunkirk thought I remembered a map, but no :(
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Drew5233

Post by Drew5233 »

I think if it will be anywhere it will be in a German Book about SS T.

I've looked through all my 1940 Campaign books to no avail.

Cheers
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello pal :D, no maps but this.........

Our Bn HQ was ‘Duries Farm’ on the outskirts of Le Paradis. The date was 25 May 1940. B Coy was on the right and on their right was the 1st Bn Royal Scots. B Coy was defending the bridge and the village of Petit Cornet Malo. On the left of B Coy was A Coy, then D Coy, C Coy and then the Lancashire Fusiliers. The battalion front was 5000 metres long and all the companies were by now very low in numbers, and this left no reserve. All day and that night the enemy tried to cross the canal and we were losing quite a few men killed and wounded. The German losses were also mounting up but they must have out-numbered us by about 5 or 6 to one. All day on the 26th was the same but apart from a small party of the enemy getting into the woods between B Coy and the Royal Scots the line was held. About 2 o’clock in the morning of the 27th, a hot meal was brought up to us by Sgt Gilding who was acting CSgt. It was fairly quiet until 3.30 am, then they opened up with artillery and mortars and attacked in force.

LE PARADIS 25-27 MAY 1940 by Bob Brown. http://www.norfolkbc.fsnet.co.uk/archiv ... aradis.htm

Do you have this book.........see below.

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas. :wink:

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
!BevFeyQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKiMErzIvY1JlBK-dC6Upew~~_12.jpg
!BevFeyQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKiMErzIvY1JlBK-dC6Upew~~_12.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
Drew5233

Post by Drew5233 »

Hi Raul and many thanks.

I have Last Stand at Paradis and the auther uses the book on several occasions as sources and the information in the book from memory is the same as you posted.

I'd like to know where the SS T crossed the canal (I believe they built one or two bridges) before moving on Le Cornet Malo and I like to try and ID defensive postions at Le Cornet Malo and the line of advance the SS T took from crossing the Bassee (sp) Canal up to the the Norfolks Bn. HQ at Duries Farm. I want to look for remnants of the battles upto the massacre and photograph them as I will be doing with the Wormhout and Nieppe Forest Murders.

Cheers
Andy

ps MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello Andy :D; you're welcome, I'll keep looking out there...............

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas. :up:

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.