Incidents from the battle of france 1940.

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sebastian
Contributor

Re: Incidents from the battle of france 1940.

Post by sebastian »

nice thread tigre,i knew the history a bit,as i am born and live in Belgium its nice to see the pics of places i know,and read all about,its al within 45 minutes drive of my place....thx fot sharing!
united we stand,divided we fall
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Thanks for your kindness sebastian :wink:. If you can add something to this post, surely it would be appreciated.

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas. :D

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

the only thing i got is some storys from old men who lived trough the war as young men,i never had a testimonial from a vet,as i was working a few days ago i came to talk to an old man who remembered someting from the war,he said he was about 15 so he was afraid if they sended him to germany to work,the normal age would be about 16 but you never knew.He lived in a place called nerom i think,its a part of londerzeel,close to BREENDONK an Brussels..dont know if it was the beginning or the end of the war.....they saw a german fighterplane in flames and saw the pilot jumping out(the villagers and resistance) as the pilot with his chute was descending 1 guy popped a shot at him,he said normally you dont shoot a man chuting but as 1 shot,everybody followed and they went on shooting untill he was on the ground.the thing was the german pilot still lived !!So they lynched him and he was killed or murdered as you want...they burried his body in between farmerfields where he landed,he could still be there is what the old man said,so this could be the beginning end or just in the middle of the war,as they took care of the body probably it was in full war

Cheers

Sebastian
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello Sebastian :D; thanks for sharing the story :wink:. It would be right to find that pilot just to bury him in a proper tomb.

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas. :wink:

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

it would be the right thing to do,you are right about that 1,but i would not know where to find the body!Another story under german occupation here in Willebroek.this story was told to me when i was 10y or so from a man who lived further in my street.He told me when he was a young boy he was walking playing around and saw a little rifle (in my opinion it was an m1 para with foldable stock as he was saying it was about a meter in length)when he was about to pîck it up a bullet smashed against the wall a bit over his head,he left the rifle and ran away,a bit further a wehrmacht soldier came up to him,as he was stiffscared the soldier aproached an kicked him full in the nuts,he pied like 3 days blood,so the fact is that the soldier laid the rifle there in a trap for the resistance or something.....anyway the message was clear to him he could never approach a rifle or something,wich he did not do trough the war.....

these are just little stories,little significant but i hope you guys enjoyed it anyway!

cheers
Seb
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Thanks for sharing those little stories with us Sebastian, and go ahead please :wink: .

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas. :D

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

tigre wrote:Thanks for sharing those little stories with us Sebastian, and go ahead please :wink: .

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Thanks Sebastian !! :D

To all my comrades, here at Fedgrau - :D

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and health, wealth, and happiness to all Feldgrauians in 2009 !!!!!!!

:D :up: :beer: :up: :D
Signed: "The Shadow"
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Thanks Shadow; the same to you :D .

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas. :wink:

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

i have a few left,heres one from a old man called Pierre,a good friend of our family.when the Germans were advancing into Belgium Pierre and his family(mom,dad,3 sisters and pierre aged 7 years)went on the run from Willebroek right to Oostende to take a boat try to leave for England.From Willebroek to Oostende now is 120km,mind that in that time there were no highways so it could be 150km they walked.So as they went with a suitcase and some little belongings they were helped by the normal civillians along the way,by receiving water an bread,altough there were thousands of people all walking in the same direction, he never saw more fear and panic in his mothers eyes,many old or sick people could not walk any further,so they just sat at the side of the road,sometimes a luftwaffe plane was spotted,but they did not bomb the fugitives,they sometimes strafed their mg's leaving a trail of dead,so they had to jump in and out of ditches and bushes.After walking 5 days in a row they reached Oostende,only to find that the last boat already left so they were forced to return home,exhausted,in pain and fear of what has happened in Willebroek.After the long march back they found it rather calm,Willebroek was spared from big fights,it was shelled,but mainly the fort van Breendonk was targetted,so civillian casualties were low in town,not to say what happened later when the sd and ss used the fort as auffangslager for prisoners,now that was a place where you did not want to come near he said,as i visited it a few times,a friend of mine works there and its like 5 minutes with bycicle for me...here is a link

http://www.breendonk.be/

not so exiting story,but i hope you enjoyed reading....

happy holdays and thx fot the positive feedback

sebastian
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Sure we did Sebastian and thanks for that interesting link :D .

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

no problem :-),if one of you got the chance to visit it,i highly reccomend it,the atmosphere it breaths within is fenomenal,you can feel the building,its an experience you will never forget,a must go if you get the chance to come to belgium and are interested in the history of the world war.
greets,
Sebastian
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all guys :D; something more......................

Volltreffer - Direct hit.

Here goes some pictures showing a direct hit on an artillery column somewhere near Monthermé on May 13 1940. I think it could be a battery belonging to the AR 76 of the 6 Pz, which that very day got across the river Meuse at that town.

Source: auction of Historical Media LLC (expired).

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
A direct hit on a Sd Kfz 6...........
A direct hit on a Sd Kfz 6...........
image002.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 7187 times
A close view of the damages.........
A close view of the damages.........
image004.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
the crew's graves.......
the crew's graves.......
image006.jpg (39.02 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; after a while, another story.................

The 263 ID at Noyon - Jun 1940.

Attack to Noyon - Jun 1940.

On June 05 1940, the German offensive jumped out across the Santerre and south of l'Ailette; the main roads and accesses to Noyon were the Stukas’ objectives: the Place of the Republic, the route of the North, the route of Amiens, the route of Paris and the Public Square of Saint-Jacques were bombed.

A light IG of 75 mm and its crew - all belonging to 13./ IR 485.

The closing roar of the guns announced the proximity of the combat. The German troops belonging to the IR 463 and IR 483 of the 263 ID managed to cross the Channel of Saint-Quentin in Vouel, whereas the IR 485 of the same division could cross the Oise-Aisne Channel by Bichancourt. This last regiment advancing along the lateral channel of the Oise could insert itself between the 23º DI deployed in Noyon and the 87º DINA on the left bank of the Oise.

French POWs being conveyed to the rear – Junio 1940.

By June 06 1940, the Germans reinforced their position beyond the Channel, multiplied the points of passage and bridges over it, bringing forward material and troops. While the combats came near to Noyon, and also to Quierzy, Brètigny and Varesnes, the French troops organized their retreat.

A short pause during the march. In the foreground, helmets left by the French soldiers and behind the German soldiers a horse-drawn IG of 75 mm belonging to the 13./ IR 485 - June 1940.

On June 07 1940, the German troops pressed forwards against Noyon, common objective of the 62 ID and the 94 ID closing in from the north and the 263 ID approaching from the south-east. Right at mid-morning the first confrontations between the German and French infantry took place. Most of the French formation would succumb before that maneuver of pliers and the tanks of 2º Company of 1º BCC trapped by the destruction of the bridges would be destroyed within the town by the German antitank guns.

A knocked out french tank R-35 from the 2./ 1º BCC destroyed by the 14./ IR 485 - Jun 1940.

That very day, the 263 ID finally would occupy Noyon.

Sources: http://etablissements.ac-amiens.fr/0600 ... bombes.htm
Subasta de eBay (ya finalizada)
1er BCC L'ENGAGEMENT ET LA FIN DE LA 2e COMPAGNIE A NOYON LE 17 JUIN 1940. Témoignage du caporal-chef LABAYSSE http://www.chars-francais.net/archives/unites.htm

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
The march proceeded further ahead...
The march proceeded further ahead...
image016.jpg (24.85 KiB) Viewed 7078 times
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; just to add a little info.........

The tank R-35 Nº 50613 destroyed at Noyon belonged to the 1. BCC, 2. Coy, 3 Platoon (under Sous-lieutenant Merlateau) and was manned by Sergent-chef De Noüel , driver Cazenave.

Source: http://oise-1939-1945.jed.st/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D ; after a while a little more.........

Armored Infantry in Action.

Early afternoon, June 5, 1940. 1st Company, 12th Armored Infantry (12 SR - 4 Pz) was resting at a farm about 700 yards north of Flancourt. The remainder of the Battalion (I) was in the vicinity of Herbecourt (see map). South of Flancourt, other German Armored Troops in hard combat with the enemy ( French) were held up. Scattered units of this force were South of the Assevillers—Barleux Highway. The Tank Brigade of the Division (4 Pz) having forced its way south through the enemy defense line had reached the hill about 1 1/4 miles northwest of Marchelepot.

At 3:00 PM the 1st Company received the following orders: “Move through Barleux and establish a strong support point on the heights about 1,700 yards east of Ablaincourt. Our tanks will assemble in that area. After establishing the position, the armored train (the APC) will be sent to the rear lightly manned. Other companies of the battalion will be sent up on the armored train to widen and strengthen the supply point.

Attached to the 1st Company are the following:

2 Infantry Guns (75-mm Self-propelled)
4 Heavy Machine Guns
1 Radio Unit (team)
3 Antitank Guns (37-mm)
2 Mortars (81-mm)

Source: Armored Infantry in Action. By Lieutenant Colonel JAMES . CROCKETT ,G.S.C. G-2 ARMORED FORCE. C.& G.S.S. Militarg Review Oct 1941.
eBay auction! Rare German Troop Photos (Panzer Frankreich) 11 de Octubre de 2009, 03:08:31

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas. :up:

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
A mechanized company with APC (schützenpanzerspähwagen) Sd Kfz 251 taking  a rest while a line of french prisoners went to the rear……………
A mechanized company with APC (schützenpanzerspähwagen) Sd Kfz 251 taking a rest while a line of french prisoners went to the rear……………
image002.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
image004.gif
image004.gif (325.59 KiB) Viewed 6745 times