Panzer Lehr at Villers Bocage

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

BobM
Supporter

Panzer Lehr at Villers Bocage

Post by BobM »

Gents

All the accounts I can find of the Villers Bocage fighting I can find either concentrate on the exploits of Michel Wittmann or tell the tale from the British point of view. I can find very little on the contributions of Panzer Lehr or the 2 Panzer Div

Does anyone have the identity of the units of Pz Lehr that participated in the battle or the units of 2 PD that arrived towards the end of the battle?

Cheers

Bob
Spinechicken
Supporter

Post by Spinechicken »

According to 2nd Panzer's Luttwitz, the troops from his division fighting around V-B on the 13th were comprised of a battlegroup of the 2nd Panzer Grenadier Regiment, the 2nd Battalion of the 74th Panzer Artillery Regiment and a company of the 38th Panzer Pionier Battalion. (Source: Report by Luttwitz in Isby, David C, Fighting in Normandy, p.154, 196).

Cheers,

-SC
"An American officer asked me once 'How on earth do you kill a Tiger?', so I told him to go and shoot it up the arse."

-A soldier of the 51st (Highland) Division
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

That helps loads - thanks very much :)
Panzeralex
Supporter

Post by Panzeralex »

Only 6./Pz.Rgt. 130 Pz.Lehr.D. (15 Pz. IV lg) fighting in Villers Bocage (not in area, but in village) on 13.6.44.
2 Pz IV were lost during the battle on the streets of Villers Bocage.
source:
Henri Marie Villers-Bocage Normandy 1944. Heimdal.

from this book about 2 Pz.D:
"Late the afternoon, the position became alarming for the British. to the south-west, the 2. Panzer-Division, althougth without its tanks but with the heavy artillery in support, attacked in force along the Aunay and Vire roads with the clear intention of cutting off a possible Allied withdrawal".

best regards
Panzeralex
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

Thanks Alex :) Does the book say what other units were in the area?
Panzeralex
Supporter

Post by Panzeralex »

There is no more additional info about another units.
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

British sources talk about their being "spandaus" in the attack on VB coinciding with the attack by 6kp

There were also inf accompanying the atack of 2Kp 501SS pz Abt. I am keen to know which units the infantry cam from

Cheers

Bob
uli M

Post by uli M »

Hi Bob

This is from the Helmut Ritgen book "Westfront 1944":

Villers Bocage was the location of the local lazaret, medical company (Hauptverbandsplatz, Ortslazarett) and supply lines of Panzer Lehr. Aufklärungslehrabteilung 130 (reconn) was along the small bourn "Aure" (north of V-B).

Hauptmann Lex (Versorungskompanie II./130) came from Parfouru-sur-Odon and took part in the fight at hill 213 with a few tanks (Panzer IVs from II./PzReg 130) from the maintenance unit/repair facility.

15 Panzer IV (definitely not 7th company, probably 6th company or others) without infantry, under the command of Htm Ritgen, drove through Juvigny to Villy westward. On the road to Anctoville the lead tank (under the command of StFw Bobrowski) was knocked out and then the attack was cancelled. Later they controlled the northern escapes roads from V-B.

Nothing more about these tanks, they did not drove into V-B.

Divisional staff company (Divisionsbegleitkompanie) under the command of Major von Fallois (Panzer-Aufklärungs-Lehr Abteilung 130) was at Anctoville (north west of V-B).

I think the Pz IVs inside V-B were from the Htm. Lex actions, photo evidence of two Pz IV from the 6./130.

Regrads Uli
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

That's brilliant Uli - thanks very much :)