Operation Marita: Battles in mainland Greece

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Valnik

Operation Marita: Battles in mainland Greece

Post by Valnik »

Hi to all

I am interested in any information available about major battles that took place in Mainland Greece during the German invasion in 1941, excluding the battles in Metaxas Line which are well documented.

I am especially interested in battles in Northern Greece. I already have some clues about a “Vevi” battle and a “Kleisoura” battle found in Wikipedia, but I am wondering if I can find more detailed information or references.

Thanks in advance
"Be greater than you seem"
tigre
Patron

Operation Marita: Battles in mainland Greece.

Post by tigre »

Hello Valnik, you should take a look here......

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2Gree.html

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-W ... Epi-i.html

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/chapter.asp?volume=18

sure you will find something interesting (unless you already know those websites). Cheers. Tigre.
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
Valnik

Post by Valnik »

Thanks tigre

I only knew the site from Australia.
The Nz site does not go into detail but any information is welcomed.

Thanks again for your reply
:wink:
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

You're welcome Valnik; however did you see the story of each NZ battalion and the story of the Divisional Cavalry

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/subject-000004.html

I think they have details and good maps/sketchs also.

Is up to you. Cheers. Tigre.
Valnik

Post by Valnik »

Dear Tigre

This is indeed a nice place for information about my request.
My original opinion was wrong.
You know it seems to me strange that i can find detailed info about what happent here and that this info comes from web sites and people from the other side of the globe.

I really thank you for your kind interest.

Valnik
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

As it was told before, you're welcome. Cheers. Tigre.
RichS

Post by RichS »

Valnik,

There is a fairly detailed (and quite good) computer wargame covering the Greek and Crete campaigns in 1941 at company level. The website and scenarios also contain some good historical information.

You can check it out here: http://cota.matrixgames.com/
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Thanks for sharing those interesting links tixodioktis. Cheers. Tigre 8)
tixodioktis
Supporter

Re: Operation Marita: Battles in mainland Greece

Post by tixodioktis »

Sorry for the translation I know is not good but that I could

The hill 731 (The unknown Thermopylae of 1940)

In early March, he Benito Mussolini arrived in Albania to monitor closely the operations. The main objective of the division in a front line six kilometers from the Gklava Boumpesi. The company had entered the eighth Italian army corps, who threw four divisions in the battle and two battalions blackshirt, keeping the other two in reserve. Opposite them, the Greek first division who fought constantly, without stopping, from the beginning of the campaign. The much-«Spring Attack» Italian broke out on 9 March 1941 across the front line. On March 26 the results were tragic. Twelve Italian divisions were equipped with plenty richtei six Greek hungry and exhausted and did not win either span soil

«This hill is located on the northern 20chil Kleisouras. It was one of the strongest pillars, which was the Greek Army during the Winter Games, which preceded it, the whole key site in the central sector of Albania. The stay in the hands of Greek hill that condemned any attempt of the Italians. The principle of the Italian attack happened early on the morning of March 9, with heavy action with mortar and artillery bombardment of the Greek airline seats.

Between 9 to 11 March 1941, fifty Trikalinos killed heroically, defending the hill. The third day is the 5 ° Trikala constitution to have lost 586 men, about half the power. Trikalinos was the first dead soldier Tsiavaliaris named Basil, Trikalinos was the first dead officer named Nicholas Georgoulas ».

THE hill 731

A Herculean struggle took place in hill 731 (altitude) in the «Spring Attack» Italian mid March 1941, to the Italian fascist forces in the presence of the dictator Mussolini-four months after the war - to get a victory against Greece and to descend with the Nazi German forces «winners» in Athens! The 731, however, reversed the projects (s). At this elevation, and the neighboring hills, fought the men of the 5th Division 1 Constitution coming mainly from Karditsa and Trikala.

History for 731 writes: "At 7 days, as of March 15 the division tried hard, but apekrouse waves of attacking opponents. The attacks and counterattacks began with concentrated cannonade kateskave in the hills, to reach complexes where why had the grenade and the spear. The hill 731, and between Apsou Aoou, was legendary. Until 19 March, following a three-day respite, the Italians launched against hill 731 no fewer than 18 attacks. The «731», as has become known in military history and the two rivals, was undoubtedly one of the hills the whole bloody world war. " (HISTORY OF GREEK ETHNOUS, Publishing SA Athens 1978, Volume O sel.441-442).

The writer and academic Agelos Terzakis, warrior of 1940, writes: "The dawning 10 March 1941, Monday, and the artillery of Kavallero restarted. Restarted the Trempesina, double hard, because the first day was lost and that is bad for a attack to be successful in the first hours.

The kanonidi now spread east to 731. It is only with the bombing of the legendary Vernten, the First World War, may compared. You listen and crimple peritromi the human soul. The Greek fire to cut the momentum as the afternoon the Italians reinforced by new forces, have resumed, but the infantry was able to own their own to break the first wave of the enemy. 6 In his afternoon Italians opened fire against the big 731. Chymixan following while trying to overcome the public, while epianan and bomb the Trempesina. Eitan seventh attack on the 731. The brought high elevation, with flames in zosmeno legend "(Angelos Terzakis, Greek romance 1940-1941, Athens 1964, sel.177-178).

In a handwritten personal diary of Major (then) Dimitrios Kasla from Pouri Zagora, Commander of the II (2nd) Battalion of the 5th Trikala Constitution, which defended the soldiers of the hill 731, states:

(First day: Sunday 9 March 1941, «zero of aggression»)

(Morning): 06:30 The timeless and terrifying irxato kataigistikon fire of hostile artillery and olmon. The first volley of a heavy Pyrovolarchias errifthi exactly 06:30 on the timer hill 731, where the Station Administration or my motto into the shot.

The bombardment continued with afxanousan entasin. Squadron pitcher constantly loads on the heights of 731 and 717. The hill 731, where the battalion my seietai continuously, dust, fire and smoke, the atmosphere is heavy, difficult breathing none of the gases of explosion, fire punishable, our environment and flames and smoke, not imporoume to distinguish what happens in apostasin 10 meters. The 731 wooded hill or trees with height 4-5 meters within two hours left naked. We destroyed the barbed wire, trenches the razed to the ground, covered in the stratiotai ventless nity of shells and struggling desperately to rectify the damage nity, particularly to protect the machine-guns and submachine gun from destruction by the stones and soil by raising nity explosions. Existing on hill 731 for two guns and antitank 6.5 squad of 37 destroyed olotelos.

At the 07:30 timer managed to communicate by telegram a few minutes to Syntagmatarchin Ketsean also after the Administrator of Colonel Georgoula Law Group, who were anxious to know the state of us. On asked if the men of Battalion nity hold positions, said that the Company is in nity positions. I dievivasen the following order, graptin. «The positions you will amynthite to the bitter end, The Patrice, the High Administration requires kratisite up the honor of arms ».

............... He replied, whatever may happen will not egkataleipsomen the 731 and I pepoithisin that will not pass the Italians.

About the timekeeper 8in Pyrovolikon the enemy irchise extend the volin at the rear of the Battalion and 08:30 epafsen volin on the heights of 731 and 717. Was now clear that the assault would irchizen Italian. It ordered the Company to prepare an automatic and non-help from a distance, only when the Italians will orismena points to reach the ground ypedeichthisan apostasin site at approximately 200 meters.

09:30 the timeless Italian users nity right of the 5th Company deep lines coming dangerously close and damaged fences. Now starting the game by grenades. The Italians try accordance with terror and the devastating effects of our defensive grenade.

(Noon): The Italians mesimvrian trying to repeat the epithesin of, but once developed rivet and dispersed by the Artillery and machine-guns us.

(Afternoon): This afternoon, while, until those hostile fire eichon diluted burst and new assault after fierce bombardment, where the entire field of Division I and again excavated soil from the pyrovolikon nity and bomb airplanes. The stratiotai waiting to catch the hostile infantry divisions, the back with automatic and decimate successful gusts and when the enemy been used nity deep lines and approaching the trenches, attacked by grenades and spear.

The Italians did not resign. Tested by an even wear before nyktosi, nity to break our lines on the hill 731.Kai rejects this effort seriously lost.

(Evening): This night we are all worn out physically. We are hungry all day. Yet nobody wants to food. We have plenty of cognac. The Company does not require bread and defensive grenades but sapper tools. Throughout the whole night imionigoi of the Order, these silent heroes epigainoerchontan in the supply channels through to us hundred loads grenade, ammunition and other supplies.

(Monday: Monday 10 March 1941).

(Morning): «The 7in proinin irchise again the Italian pyrovolikon. Nity 9 hours at the Italian assault begins. This day is directed towards the left through to the yperfalangisoun 731 on the left. The Italians moved by myriad precautions to occupy the first Pyrovolikon and decimate us. The Pyrovolikon of Italians trying to support kinoumenin column. The Italians go in successive waves with obvious to understand definitely the 731, without taking into account the loss nity. The Italians arrive in apostasin of 50-100 m from the line up of resistance. By deceive our soldiers raise white mandilia, for the moment assume that it would surrender. Now understood at first that it was fraud. Epenevin immediately ordered the fire entasin by cherovomvidon and topikin antepithesin. The Stratiotai cries out the famous polemikin iachin «air» by lance grenade and turn the Italians, who will start running to the rear, the change in the ypochorisin fygin panic. The assault of synetrivi.

(Monday: Monday 10 March 1941).
(Noon): slightly meridiem conducted before the new efforts at the same point than the Italians again on preparation by fierce bombardment and assault LATTER synetrivi drone before the heroism of Lochon, by spear, until the timekeeper trepomen 12:30 in random New fygin Italians.

(Afternoon) ... Nity begins at 06:30 bombardment on hills 731 and 717 and after a near new assault against the Italians and the two sides of the hill 731, ie against both Lochon me. The assault was apekrousthi with heavy losses by the enemy.

(Evening): To think that the evening would undermine the morale of our soldiers, drop by aircraft thousand notices require our soldiers to ripsoun their arms and rush to surrender. And notices were available only gelotas offered to the heroic soldiers.

And the second day of the attack ended with the absolute diatirisin of our positions on hill 731, and in my right III Battalion 717 on the hill. "

The «Spring Attack» Italian failed. Mussolini left diminished. The elevation was 731 fame and his name written on the monument of the Unknown Soldier: «731».

Sorry for the translation I know is not good but that I could
tigre
Patron

Re: Operation Marita: Battles in mainland Greece

Post by tigre »

Hello tixodioktis :D. Thanks for sharing it with us and for your translation's effort also pal :wink:. Cheers. Raúl M 8).
stevenz

Re:

Post by stevenz »

Valnik wrote:Dear Tigre

This is indeed a nice place for information about my request.
My original opinion was wrong.
You know it seems to me strange that i can find detailed info about what happent here and that this info comes from web sites and people from the other side of the globe.

I really thank you for your kind interest.

Valnik
Check the New Zealand site out it has a wealth of information on the greek campaign there is the Official History of the Battle for Greece as well as Individual infantry battalion histories as well as engineers,artillary,Divisional cavalry histories.