Ternovaia Pocket May 1942

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Jaywol
Supporter

Ternovaia Pocket May 1942

Post by Jaywol »

Hi. Can anyone tell me which German units were trapped in the Ternovaia pocket during the Kharkov operation of May 1942. Regards Jaywol.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Hi Jaywol,

Encircled in the pocket was at first KG Gruner (composed from elements of Inf.Rgt.429/168.Inf.Div. and probably some other smaller units) it was later joined by KG Soltmann from 23.Pz.Div., composed from II./Pz.Rgt.201 and I.(SPW)/Pz.Gren.Rgt.128.

Marko
Jaywol
Supporter

Post by Jaywol »

Thx for the reply. How did elements of 23rd Panzer Division come to be in the pocket? I thought they were carrying out offensive operations in the area in cooperation with the 3rd Panzer Division. Regards Jaywol.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Yes, that's right, this was at the start of that counterattack on 16 May. 23.Pz.Div.'s Panzer-KG broke through the Russian defenses and reached Ternovaya but the infantry force was unable to follow-up the success as the Russians sealed the gap and again encircle the Ternovaya group. A few days later 3rd Panzer's KG Schmidt-Ott, finally broke the encirclement for good.

Marko
Jaywol
Supporter

Post by Jaywol »

Thx for this detailed info. Do you know when the KG from 23rd Panzer reached the pocket and when it was finally opened by the KG from 3rd Panzer? Which publication did you find the info in? Regards Jaywol.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

23rd Panzer's KG reached the pocket on 16 May, which was then closed again on that same day. 3rd Panzer's finally relived the group on 21st May. Info comes from both units divisional histories ("Geschichte der 3.Panzer-Division" and "Zum Kaukasus und zu den Tauern") which are unfortunately like so many others available only in German language. See some additional info on this LINK.

Marko
Jaywol
Supporter

Post by Jaywol »

Ok. Thx again, regards Jaywol.