Units in Volkhov in October 1943

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Terje
Supporter

Units in Volkhov in October 1943

Post by Terje »

I need information about which axis units were in the Volkhov front, about 140 km east of Leningrad, in october 1943. So far I know decisively that 5. gebirgsjager division were there - by then they had been in combat in that area for 19 months. (Incidentally, how many men remained in the ranks by november when they finally were pulled out?) Other units I am less sure about. I am fairly sure spanish ss volunteers were there, and possibly ss wiking - but at this time there was heavy combat all over the eastern front and info about units in Volkhov tend to dwon. Does anyone have more specific information?
Lorenz
Patron

Re: Units in Volkhov in October 1943

Post by Lorenz »

Terje wrote:I need information about which axis units were in the Volkhov front, about 140 km east of Leningrad, in october 1943. So far I know decisively that 5. gebirgsjager division were there - by then they had been in combat in that area for 19 months. (Incidentally, how many men remained in the ranks by november when they finally were pulled out?) Other units I am less sure about. I am fairly sure spanish ss volunteers were there, and possibly ss wiking - but at this time there was heavy combat all over the eastern front and info about units in Volkhov tend to dwon. Does anyone have more specific information?
The Volkhov front from Kurishi south to the Novgorod area was held by XXVIII. Armeekorps/AOK 18 in October 1943. It had 6 divisions at the time: 1., 81., 96., 121., 132. Inf.Div., and 12. Lw.-Felddiv.
Terje
Supporter

Post by Terje »

Excellent, this was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you very much.

I notice you do not mention the 5th GJ division or SS units - weren't they there according to your information?
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Terje wrote:Excellent, this was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you very much.
I notice you do not mention the 5th GJ division or SS units - weren't they there according to your information?
5. Gebirgs-Div. was under XXVI. AK/AOK 18 during October, and the only SS division, SS-Polizei-Div., was under LIV. AK/AOK 18 during October. These two Armeekorps were not along the Volkhov front. To determine where specifically these two divisions were during the month, you will need some detailed references that I don't have, such as their unit histories. You might want to try doing what most of us do, and this is to search around the internet using Google. I know that detailed discussions on the Volkhov front have appeared a number of times on Axis History Forum, and I imagine the same is true for Feldgrau.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Lorenz wrote: 5. Gebirgs-Div. was under XXVI. AK/AOK 18 during October, and the only SS division, SS-Polizei-Div., was under LIV. AK/AOK 18 during October. These two Armeekorps were not along the Volkhov front. To determine where specifically these two divisions were during the month, you will need some detailed references that I don't have, such as their unit histories.
Just to add to Lorenz's already exhaustive posts. SS-Pol.Div. was by October 1943 split in two groups. While the bulk of division was reforming on the Balkans, a regimental sized battle group remained behind on the Eastern front - it was referred to as SS-Pol.Div.KG. In October the KG was engaged in the southern Leningrad front along the river Tosna.

Marko
Guripa

Re: Units in Volkhov in October 1943

Post by Guripa »

Lorenz wrote:
Terje wrote:I need information about which axis units were in the Volkhov front, about 140 km east of Leningrad, in october 1943. So far I know decisively that 5. gebirgsjager division were there - by then they had been in combat in that area for 19 months. (Incidentally, how many men remained in the ranks by november when they finally were pulled out?) Other units I am less sure about. I am fairly sure spanish ss volunteers were there, and possibly ss wiking - but at this time there was heavy combat all over the eastern front and info about units in Volkhov tend to dwon. Does anyone have more specific information?
The Volkhov front from Kurishi south to the Novgorod area was held by XXVIII. Armeekorps/AOK 18 in October 1943. It had 6 divisions at the time: 1., 81., 96., 121., 132. Inf.Div., and 12. Lw.-Felddiv.
And where was the 250th Divison? the spaniards. I think you have forgotten it
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Guripa wrote:
Lorenz wrote:
And where was the 250th Divison? the spaniards. I think you have forgotten it
Last reported:

Januar 1943 under LIV. A.K./18. Armee/Heeresgruppe Nord on the Leningrad Front. It had taken heavy losses during the so-called 2d Battle of Lake Ladoga in January and February and apparently reduced to the strength of a Kampfgruppe. It was officially disbanded on 20 October 1943. This thread was about the Volkhov Front in October 1943. the 250. Infanterie-Div. was not there at that time, according to the available German records. Since you live in Spain, why don't you see if you can find some information on it for the period February - October 1943 and then let us know what you find out. You could also do a search on the internet.

--Lorenz
Guripa

Post by Guripa »

Yes, you're right.
Not necessary to find out any information through internet.
As Volkhov as Leningrad fronts were very close. The 250 division after to be fighting in Volkhov was moved to Leningrad area. Since October 1943, it was disolved and those who wanted to follow in the Blue Legion were joined to the 121 Division.
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

Does anyone know which unit replaced the FJ formations over near Kelkowo when they were removed from the line in late 1941?