Unternehmen Nordwind: Need Help

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Mike

Unternehmen Nordwind: Need Help

Post by Mike »

Hi Everyone,
Been a while since I last looked through the site.
I am a college student and for my Historiography class I will have to pick a subject. I was considering the Waffen-SS, but as I live in the unfortunately liberal NE U.S. my fellow students would probably not understand a military analysis and would simply label me a Nazi sympathizer---extremely untrue.
So I'm thinking of doing Nordwind and what was written about it. I own "Black Edelweiss," "7 Days In January" and am looking to buy "The Final Crisis." Can anyone tell me of other indispensible, affordable books? Or maybe even some other primary or secondary sources I could use? Guidance will be greatly appreciated.

--Mike
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Mike, there's one other book on that campaign I'm aware of, but I've been told that it's not entirely accurate. I have it, but I've not had the chance to get into it yet. Right off the top of my head, I can't give you the title, because I'm at work. I do know it's available from Merriam Press. One thing I noticed that was interesting to me was a panoramic photo of the town. You'll recognize the vantage point when you see it.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
John W. Howard

Nordwind

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Mike:
WHEN THE ODDS WERE EVEN by Keith Bonn. WINTER STORM by Lise Pommois. THE FINAL CRISIS is excellent. Lise Pommois has other books about the fighting in Alsace if you read French. Her WINTER STORM is in English. Charles Whiting has a book entitled THE OTHER BATTLE OF THE BULGE, which should be read with caution; it has errors but reads well. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
dduff442
Supporter

Post by dduff442 »

One of the Green Book series deals with the Ardennes and NORDWIND together. Its at: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/brochures/ardennes/aral.htm

Regardsio,
dduff
estonian
Supporter

Post by estonian »

:wink:
There was another operation "Nordwind" also - 1941

Operation "Beowulf II" directed the occupation of the Estonian islands through an attack from infantry forces assembled on the western coast of Estonia.
A number of diversionary attacks were to be undertaken in this case. The primary diversionary attack against Soviet positions on the Estonian Islands was codenamed “Södwind”. A second diversionary attack was to be conducted against the western coast of the Island of Saaremaa; codenamed “Westwind”. Finally, a third diversionary attack was also envisioned. Operation “Nordwind” was to make it appear to the Soviet defenders as if the main German invasion was coming from the Finnish coast and that the first German goal was to attack the Estonian Island of Hiiumaa - not Saaremaa.
Unfortunately the Finnish Coastal Battleship “Ilmarinen”, which was also participating in this operation(Nordwind), ran into a Soviet mine and quickly sank. Over 270 Finnish sailors lost their lives.
http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/ks ... -index.htm
genstab
Contributor

Operation Nordwind

Post by genstab »

I have to make a definite plug for Keith Bonn's "When the Odds Were Even" as one you shouldn't miss- he's a retired US Army LtCol and did a fine military analysis of the campaigh with useful periodic O/Bs of both sides in the chapters.
Best regards,
Genstab

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

I have to make a definite plug for Keith Bonn's "When the Odds Were Even" as one you shouldn't miss.
I seconds this. This is a must read for Nordwind.

Christian