Panzer Replacements sent to Italy 43-45

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Martin Schenkel
Supporter

Panzer Replacements sent to Italy 43-45

Post by Martin Schenkel »

I'm trying to track down some numbers of replacement Panzers sent to the Italian Front. Jentz lists the following replacements:

25x PzIV (Jan/44)
38x Panther (May/44)
27x Tiger I (May/44)

Where these the only individual replacement Panzers sent to Italy (other than reinforcement Panzer units)?

Also, any information on Stug replacements would also be helpful.
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence" - Sun Tzu
Rich
Associate

Re: Panzer Replacements sent to Italy 43-45

Post by Rich »

Martin Schenkel wrote: Where these the only individual replacement Panzers sent to Italy (other than reinforcement Panzer units)?

Also, any information on Stug replacements would also be helpful.
Martin, there definitely were more replacements sent than those reported by Jentz. I am currently putting together an Excel spreadsheet from the 10 AOK Panzerlage and there are a number of replacements that are reported for November and December 1943. When I have completed the spreadsheet (probably in a couple of weeks) I will be happy to share the information with you. Send me an email to remind me in about two weeks.
michael kenny
Associate

Tiger replacements

Post by michael kenny »

Jentz (and others) list that sPzAbt.504 recieved 12 Tiger Is in July 1944 and that sPzAbt. 508 got 1 in Feb. 44, 5 in March, 6 in April as well as the 27 you mention in June. A total of 51 replacement Tigers in 6 months. Dates differ between issue date and date of receiving the tanks.
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Hello, I thought I'd refresh this topic with some info from Tom Jentz's book on the Panther.

On page 147, he mentions the 38 Panthers spoken of by Martin, which he says were shipped by rail between 5/29 and 6/5/44. In addition, 20 more were sent between 9/18 and 9/21/44, and a final batch of 10 were shipped 10/31/44. IMHO, the 30 later vehicles would've been Ausf. Gs, but I honestly don't know for sure, as the only Panthers I've ever seen in photos from Italy were Ausf. As.

Yours,
Paul