German casualties in the Warsaw Uprising exaggerated?

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Mitch Williamson

Casualties

Post by Mitch Williamson »

Hi everyone

The first book I read on the Warsaw Uprising by Guether Deschner and translated (not too well) into the Pan/Ballantine series (old book 1972) states:

'More than 9,000 AK were taken prisoner. Approximately 3,500 preferred to go underground, although the Germans kept their word almost completely. About 16,000 AK soldiers perished or had been reported 'missing presumed dead'. 6,000 were wounded. Almost 200,000 civilians died. The Germans registered 2,000 killed and 9,000 wounded.'

I suggest this supports Sid's theory on lower than commonly reported casualty figures.

Although I would like to note that this book was published in 1972 so the Polish casualties may be inaccurate. The author lists: A. Borkiewicz, J. Kirchmayer, S. Mikolajaczyk and T. Komorowski (Bor) as secondary sources.

I hope this helps.
Mitch
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Mitch, Morden and krzysiek,

Whilst I am gratified that my methodology seems to have worked, it would appear from Mitch's last contribution that I have been wasting everyone's time by not reading widely enough around the subject before launching this thread. What makes it even more embarrassing is that I had all those popular Pan/Ballantyne/Purnell paperback books in my dim and distant youth. Sorry guys.

Nevertheless, thanks for the very high standard of contribution. I have very much enjoyed the exercise.

All the best,

Sid.
Morden
Supporter

Post by Morden »

What's about another exercise?

Morden
Mitch Williamson

No Sid: This subject is always in revision.

Post by Mitch Williamson »

Hi Everyone

Well Sid not really, WW II will always be in revision. You bring up vadid factors.

I am fascinated in the miltary impact and doctrine of city warfare. Warsaw however, was such an incredible imbalance of force. Well equipped Wehrmacht against well-motivated, poorly-armed, desperate AK. The para-dropping of just some PIATs a/t weapons made an impact.

Now if Morden can perhaps look at this Polish website, one that I beleive is the single most comphrensive to be found...and see what he thinks...

The OoB alone is priceless...take a look

http://www.whatfor.prv.pl/

Oh do I wish I read Polish.

Best Wishes
Mitch