Teller Mines

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Teller Mines

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I hope somebody can clear this up. I understood 'Teller Mines' to be a specific type of German land mine. However, while reviewing a manuscript about the battle for Iwo Jima, I read quotes of US Marines finding 'Teller Mines' around the area, and their tanks getting blown up by same.
Am I missing something, or are some of these guys getting their terminology mixed up? :?
Thanks
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Dan Mouritzsen
Supporter

Post by Dan Mouritzsen »

Hi Tom

Teller mines are the basic term for all mines having that same basic shape as two tellers joined together at the rim. During WWII almost all participating country’s had their own types of teller mines.

Regards

Dan Mouritzsen
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

I might add Teller means plate in German. As Dan explained the mines are composed of two parts "plates" (as in dinner or soup plates) joined together.

I was not aware of others than the Germans using the term although often mentioned by allies too, to explain a specific type of mine.

Does this make sense....?

Hope so

Waleed
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Thanks, gents. I knew that everyone had their own styles, but I hadn't seen (or don't recall seeing) anyone other than Germans calling them 'Tellers.' That's why I like this forum! There's bound to be someone out here that knows!!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Matt L
Contributor

Post by Matt L »

The German antitank mines were specifically named 'Tellermine' (T. Mi. 35, 42, and 43), indeed because of their resemblance to large plates, however it's not a generic term by any means. The use of the term by a US Marine is probably simply because he learned of the German mine in training. The Japanese definitely didn't have Tellermines.

Matt
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate- "Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily'' William of Ockham
tigre
Patron

Re: Teller Mines

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a little complement....................

Panzervernichtungstrupp!

Sources: Das III Reich. Sondersheft 11. Grenadiere. Die Deutsche Infanterie von 1939-1945.
Litzmannstädter Zeitung Oct 7, 1943.

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
Troops of the SS-Kavallerie Div "Florian Geyer" facing the T-34 with T-mines.....................
Troops of the SS-Kavallerie Div "Florian Geyer" facing the T-34 with T-mines.....................
image002.png (618.05 KiB) Viewed 6024 times
Withdrawal to the Dnieper; sappers await the passage of the column to plant their T-mines.....................
Withdrawal to the Dnieper; sappers await the passage of the column to plant their T-mines.....................
image004.png (506.18 KiB) Viewed 6024 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
tigre
Patron

Re: Teller Mines

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a little more....................

Beachhead at Nettuno!

Sources: https://www.ea-militaria.com/die-wehrma ... -1944.html

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
The paratroopers' outposts have detected an enemy advance. It is in the direction of a major intersection. American tanks are already moving on. A team of parachute sappers rushed to the hotspot to mine the endangered area in particular........................
The paratroopers' outposts have detected an enemy advance. It is in the direction of a major intersection. American tanks are already moving on. A team of parachute sappers rushed to the hotspot to mine the endangered area in particular........................
image086.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.