Kurland Tiger I's Apr/May 1945

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

HenschelTurret

Kurland Tiger I's Apr/May 1945

Post by HenschelTurret »

I'm looking to do a Apr/May 1945 Kurland diorama containing two Tiger I's. As far as I can tell it looks like a kompanie of Tiger I's (late ?) from the 510th Heavy Battalion were attached to the 14th Panzer Division. Can anyone help me out on colour schemes, decals and markings, as well as which type of Tiger I's ? Many thanks in advance.
von Salza
Supporter

Re: Kurland Tiger I's Apr/May 1945

Post by von Salza »

Hi HenschelTurret,

Sorry I'm more of an aircraft modeller than armour, but I do appreciate a good diorama. I know this is a bit late, you may indeed have already constructed your diorama, but here is some information that may help with your construction. You could post a few pics if you have already finished? :up:

Reading between the lines it seems as if you may already have a photograph, and I would suggest that you use this as your primary source for your build, nothing beats good photographic evidence for recreating a diorama.

Regarding the Tigers associated with Schwere Panzer Abteilung 510;

510 was established on 6 June 1944 under order AHA Stab I (I) Nr. 24533/44 and was supplied with 45 Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf E Sd Kfz 181 delivered between 20 June - 07 July 1944. s.Pz Abt 510 was ordered to the Eastern Front on 20 July 1944 arriving in Kaunas (Kowno) on 22 July 1944. 510 was in combat by the 26 July 1944.

All 45 Tiger Is allocated to 510 were from the final production lot in June & July 1944 so would incorporate all the latest updates, such as the deletion of the right hand pistol port in the rear of the turret, replaced with an escape hatch, a new cupola design with intergral periscopes, the upgraded Maybach HL230P30 engine, new steel tyred rubber cushioned wheels replacing the dish type and the upgraded TZF9c sight.

All tanks had the Zimmerit coating and had the shackle cutout. They all carried track links on the turret sides and most had them on the hull front and front bow as well. During the final stages of the Courland battles some tanks had extra protection applied on the turret sides with a long row of track links.

Camouflage pattern featured large olive-green patches with brown edges on the standard yellow-olive primer. The Balkenkreuz on the hull side was moved forward towards the position of the turret front. Turret numerals were black with a white outline and were painted on both sides of the turret. They were not painted on the forward part of the turret as usual but in the rear section - e.g. On the right hand side they would be painted on the escape hatch. 2nd company used the numeral '3' with squared upper ends, the remaining companies had the normal rounded sides. The Abteilung painted its insignia - the Berlin Bear, in white on a black crest on the right rear hull.

That said a lot of time would have passed since first equipped in July 1944 and your time frame of April/May 1945, track links would be lost, camouflage changed, etc. Best chance would be any photographic evidence in your time frame.

510 s.Pz Abt was ordered to Berlin to re-equip with Tiger II on 19 March 1945. Remaining 15 Tiger I tanks were left behind under Leutnant Wine consolidated under 1./Schwere Panzer Abteilung 510 in Courland. Embarkment from Libau to Swinemunde started on 28 March completed by 10 April 1945. Last update from Courland was on 15 April 1945 with 15 Tiger Is (13 operational).

I can't find any definitive information that 510 s.Pz Abt was assigned to 14 Panzer Division during April/May 1945, the division itself was split between elements still based in Courland and those posted back to Germany for refitting. 510 was assigned as Heeres-truppen and probably acting in conjunction with the ad-hoc panzer formation Pz.Brig 'Kurland' which incorporated elements of 14 & 12 Panzer Divisions.

Last update for 14 Panzer Division on 15 April 1945 indicated that there were 2 Pz III and 25 StuG III available. The bulk of 14 Panzer Division surrendered to the Soviets on 9-10 May 1945.

Hope this helps

Regards

David

:?
"Whoever wishes to master the art of war must study it continuously. I....am of the opinion that one lifetime is not enough to attain this goal." - Frederick II
HenschelTurret

Re: Kurland Tiger I's Apr/May 1945

Post by HenschelTurret »

No not too late. Many thanks as I'm still working out what I need etc. Much appreciated.