Weapons issue

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

PVH

Weapons issue

Post by PVH »

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know if, when weapons (sidearms in particular) were issued, was a record made at that time of serial number of weapon to assigned to a particular officer?
Thanks, PVH
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: Weapons issue

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello,

Yes, pistols were registered in the personal and company files with type and serial number.

/Christoph
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Oh yes, I remember it well. :oops: After passing my kradmeldertests, i was issued a U.S. 1911 pistol (12mm) (45cal). (beutewaffe)
Our melders room was right above the C.O.'s office. I sat on my cot, , took it apart, put it back together, and without thinking pushed the ammo clip is. next 'firing pin release." and . . . . . . .BANG !!!!!!! right through the floor, and into my C.O.'s desk, while he was sitting there.
ALL non comissioned men had to turn in their weapons, and only after I got visited by the "Holy ghost" did they get them back.
Including me. i had become a "safety expert" in record time :oops: :oops:
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Christoph Awender
Patron

:D Good that he didn´t return the fire so that we still have you to tell us such great anecdotes! Thanks.

/Christoph
PVH

Post by PVH »

Christoph,
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to access any of this information or is it lost to the sands of time?
Best,
PVH
Christoph Awender
Patron

PVH wrote:Christoph,
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to access any of this information or is it lost to the sands of time?
Best,
PVH
Hello,

If you mean if there is somewhere a central register or a list that was and is not the case. These low level (company, battalion etc..) documents are lost for the most part. You may find some single documents but no list as such.

/Christoph
PVH

Post by PVH »

thank you Christophe.
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

About recorded information of the time :
Lots of records were burned at the last minute, or just thrown away, and disappeared.
Some records were 'recaptured" or 'rewritten" when all was over, and some schreibstuben still pretended to function, although already in an internment camp. My Regt. (Landsturm Nederland) did just that, while already in the Harskamp.
As a result, there are TWO stammkarten in my file at the Netherlands Institute for War Documentation; of which they were kind enough to send me photocopies. Some info is not there. other info "never happened". But hey, something is better thatn nothing.
Records from "Wehrertuchtigungslagers"( Hitler Youth sports camp and "incitement training to sign up for the armed forces, were by enlarge destroyed.
Oh Well.
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
PVH

Post by PVH »

Thank you for the info haen2