Wooden bullets, 8mm Mauser

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

DD430

Wooden bullets, 8mm Mauser

Post by DD430 »

My Dad's ship, the USS Eberle, captured the Île de Porquerolles in the Mediterranean on August 21, 1944. The islands were defended by Albanian troops that had been pressed into service for the Germans. (Unfortunately, the Albanians were turned over to the Russians. They were subsequently killed.)

Dad brought home a Czech BRNO 8mm Mauser that he'd taken from one of the prisoners. Along with the Mauser were two boxes of ammunition. One of the boxes contains 8mm cartridges in which are held wooden bullets. Some of the bullets are red and some are purple. Dad called them sentry rounds. He said that they were meant for short range shots and the bullet was meant to break into fragments that would severely wound but not kill their intended target. Was this indeed the truth?

A side note: Dad had begun his Naval career with their intelligence branch. His Cousin Fred served throughout the war with US Army intelligence. Two of their first cousins served on Hitler's general staff. A tough situation for the entire family.
Zepp

Re: Wooden bullets, 8mm Mauser

Post by Zepp »

DD430

I`m quite sure that wooden bullets were made for short range target practise, like we used blue plastic bullets(effectiv range 25m).

Zepp
I newer was the man I used to be!
Ordnancebob

Post by Ordnancebob »

Wooden bullets are likely blanks.
In recoil operated wpns Eg.MG34 and MG42's would use them, using a shredder in place of the normal muzzle recoil booster.

Arte et Marte
Ordnancebob
Zepp

Post by Zepp »

Ordnancebob .
My mistake, you are right. According to a veteran friend of mine the wooden projectile disolved as it left the barrel.
He only used it in carabines, so he could not tell how it worked in automatic weapons. :?
Zepp
I newer was the man I used to be!
LDC

Post by LDC »

Die Verwendung von Holz Kugeln meines Wissens war leer Munition wie die Kugel in der Regel kamen neben almostantly nach dem Verlassen des muzzel, sehe ich hor dont das Druckniveau erhalten würde automatischen Waffen bedienen, bitte korrigieren Sie mich, wenn ich mich nicht irre.
Danke, Larry
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

We used this type of ammo during basic training ( W.SS) in field exercises. We were warned though NOT to fire them at close range, and shown that at about 1 meter (3feet) it WOULD penetrate the bottom of a zinc bucket.
Ours , if memory serves me right, were purple.
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
LDC

Post by LDC »

You are correct, it even said on the box not to fire at human targets
Danke
Larry