StuG III deliveries: Heer, Luftwaffe and Waffen-SS

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Grenader Henrik

StuG III deliveries: Heer, Luftwaffe and Waffen-SS

Post by Grenader Henrik »

Morn,
I have been a Sturmgeschütz III fan boy ever since I saw an early Ausf. G being refurbished at Rena a couple of years ago, and therefore I just had to make this tread. I am new to this forum so I don't know if this has been discussed earlier. Either way, I googled "Feldgrau StuG III" and "Feldgrau Sturmgescütz III", but I didn't find anything. I sincerely hope this tread doesn't contain an over discussed subject.

Anyway, this tread is devoted to the mentioned vehicle, so feel free to sheer any information you have about it's technical aspects and innovations, combat history etc. However, the main point with this tread is to find information concerning StuG III deliveries to Heer, Luftwaffe and Waffen-SS during the war.

Forward and towards the enemy ! Assault guns are an offensive weapon and give the infantry immediate, powerful support through mobility, fire and striking power.
- Sturmgeschütz Training Manual.
Teutonic

Re: StuG III deliveries: Heer, Luftwaffe and Waffen-SS

Post by Teutonic »

I unfortunately don't sit on the information as to how many StuG IIIs were delivered to the different branches, but I will say what I do know.

The StuGs were often throughout the war attached to Panzergrenadier divisions --both Heer and Waffen-SS-- as motorized cannons, and towards the end of the war when Germany was on the defensive, and the bulk of the StuGs had the high-velocity 75mm L/48 cannon, the StuG took on the role as a tank destroyer.

Additionally, I can imagine that the late StuG III Ausf.Gs were used in basically every branch; it was the most-produced piece of German armor throughout the war, with a production figure of 7720.

I hope you can find the information you are looking for!

/Teutonic
HOS Bandit

Re: StuG III deliveries: Heer, Luftwaffe and Waffen-SS

Post by HOS Bandit »

There are some very good figures of distribution of Stug 111 and AusF D,E,F,G, on Wikopedia. I have a photo posted in Photographs of a Sturmgeschutz- Battalion celebrating their 1000th. Enemy Tank Kill on the Eastern Front. Quite an accomplishment.
Za Dom Spremni