Forgotten AFVs--The Official Sd. Kfz. 250/9 Thread!

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Commissar D, the Evil

Re: Forgotten AFVs--The Official Sd. Kfz. 250/9 Thread!

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Well, someone has to play the "clown" for the "Renowned Military Historians" who hang out on Feldgrau! :up: :up: :up:

Ah, it is so good to be EviL!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Sincerely though, I will always remain in AWE of Hans Weber and Martin Block!

Both are so hard-working and eager to share! It is indeed a GREAT thing. True, I may, at times, only be able to contribute a playful mood to the forum, but our hardest workers are entitled to a few moments of fun!

Hell, if I only had the chance to meet and greet them in person, I would be so honored! :D :D :D One couldn't ask for better, more dedicated Historians at any time or in any place. And all of this is only made possible by the internet--God only knows what we missed in communicating research before the Net and before Feldgrau!!! :( :( :( :( :(

Bestens ALL!
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Commissar D, the Evil

Well, the inside turret ring diameter on the Luchs appears to have been 49 1/2 inches, but I haven't yet found comparable information on the 234 series, which slightly surprises me...

Best,
David
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

sdkfz250/9 ammo capacity was really small and powerless to recce by force
ssostufvmarck

Post by ssostufvmarck »

Hello,

I am currently restoring an original SDKFZ 250 Ausf.B. It has a rivited hull with some "bone" white paint remaining, which might indicate it was a /9. I think this was the only version they painted the interior white according to T.Jentz. I have the front half of the upper armor off another vehicle, and am searching for more parts, both repro and original. We will be installing a blank fire 2cm (.50 cal blanks like our other gun), and a coax 42. I have a sight that looks similar to a TFZ 3A, but I would like to find an original. If anyone knows of any parts, I would greatly appreciate an email. Its a pretty rare vehicle for the USA, as far as I know its the only one. The one at the victory museum is a modified DMAG, not an original 250. I really need the 90 degree steering unit, a water pump, some track and a few of the inner roadwheels. Many thanks, John Marketello
[email protected]
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi! That is indeed a rare vehicle!!!! If memory serves me, there is a magazine specifically for Military Vehicle restorers where there are plenty of ads and offers for parts for restoration. It's primarily aimed at American vehicles and I've forgotten the name of the publication--but try to contact the WWII Vehicle and Learning Center in Hubbard Ohio, they'd have the information on the magazine, although their collection is American from WWII through Korea. This is their site:

http://www.ipmslondon.ca/old%20site/ipm ... /id16.html

Good Luck and
Best Regards,
David
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

If these guys don't know, I don't think anyone will!!

http://www.panzermuseum-munster.de/
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Normally, 16 x sd.kfz.250/9 would join with 9 x sd.kfz.250/5 to form a spah company, but I find out 5. Panzer Division had 15 x 250/9 on Dec 30 1944 (close to authorized level) but she had 19 x 250/5 ( double in authorized level), if possbile they use 250/9 in other units like Wespe and Hummel units or just grouped together in spah company ?
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Kelvin, I'm surprised at you asking such a question. You know perfectly well that firstly, there wasn't room in the Pz Spah Kp c for all those SdKfz 250/5 and secondly that the 250/5 was used in many other units as their communications vehicle.
Alan
christensenDK

Post by christensenDK »

Hey fellow sd.kfz 250/9 enthusiasts.
I’ve been reading this thread, in hope of finding some information on the technical details, of this mysterious vehicle.
Does anyone of you competent people, have any information on the interior details, such as wiring, transmission, etc. etc. I’ve required the Martin Kögel “in detail” book, but the wonderful book doesn’t provide information, nor pics of that specific interior part.

Hope somebody in here can help me out, in my quest.

Cheers
Christopher