what is the difference between a Fledküche and Feldkochherd?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

richard hedrick
Supporter

what is the difference between a Fledküche and Feldkochherd?

Post by richard hedrick »

In a sollstärken document for Volks-Grenadier division there are columns for both a Feldküche and a Feldkochherd. It seems to me that de.wikipedia uses the terms interchangeably but since there are two columns in the document there must be some tangible difference between the two.

Doe anyone have an idea of what the difference might be between the field kitchen and the field “cooking stove”.

Thanks.
Richard
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Richard - I could be VERY wrong about this, and I'm sure I'll be corrected, - but I thought a feldkuche was a boiler for "wet" cookery or an oven - soup/stew/goulash, and breads - whereas a feldkochherd was a mobile "hotplate".
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
richard hedrick
Supporter

thanks for the reply, that sounds reasonable that they would have two different functions. the ratio was 60 Feldküche to 18 Feldkochherd, they also each had a heavy and light version with the heavy version making up the majority of the units at a ratio of 63 to 15.

Richard
Kuchenbull1955

Re: what is the difference between a Fledküche and Feldkochherd?

Post by Kuchenbull1955 »

I own an original German field kitchen and have the field manual for it. According to the manual a field kitchen technically is the wheeled version, while der 'Feldkochherd' is the version that had the wheels removed and was mounted on steel braces in the back of a truck. In other words it was meant to be stationary. Far as I have found that was the only difference.
Attachments
p25p2.jpg
p25p2.jpg (85.36 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
richard hedrick
Supporter

Scott,

Many thanks for the reply and the photo. Based on your response i will venture a guess (do the research later :D ) that the Feldkochherd were used with more mobile units. Armed with this conjecture I reviewed the Feldküche and Feldkochherd distribution in a Volksgrenadier division and found that the Pz.Jäg.Abt. (Stu.Gesch. and mot Z units) was indeed authorized 3 gross and 1 klein Feldkochherd and no Feldküche. So far so good…

Thanks again,
Richard
Landserstudent
Supporter

Post by Landserstudent »

Feldkueche translates generally as field kitchen.

Feldkochherd tran's as a field kitchen stove.

-Landserstudent