Ammo question- need reply if possible

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

darkertomcat
Supporter

Ammo question- need reply if possible

Post by darkertomcat »

I am looking into getting a Mauser 98k and I know its chambered in 7.92, what I am curious about is it still possible to find 7.92 ammunition or is there a modern round that would work in the Mauser at a possibly more resonable price?
"Life is not a support system for art, its the other way around."- Stephen King
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Isn't that sold as "8mm Mauser?"
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

Some of the links on this page may be of interest
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=8m ... gle+Search
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

Tom Houlihan wrote:Isn't that sold as "8mm Mauser?"

Not sure Tom, I will look into that and lwd thanks very much for the link

-Mike
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

It is indeed 8mm Mauser. My dad used a G41M as his deer rifle for many years and never had any problem finding ammo. Even had a little military ammo left as I recall. Given the number of souveneers and K98's sold at gunshows ammo shouldn't be a problem.
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

i know that at least the Israelis rebarreled the k98 into 7.62mm NATO (308 winchester? apparently they're different...), which you shouldn't have any problem finding (milsurp). but those are probably harder to find...
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

you can also find K98s rebarreled for 30-06. I'm pretty sure 308 Winchester and 7.62 Nato are the same round.
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

Thanks for replies guys, it was a big help
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

hmm...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/7_62vs308.htm

that should clarify it to some extent...
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

Dragunov wrote:hmm...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/7_62vs308.htm

that should clarify it to some extent...

That was a very interesting link and some good info Dragunov
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

Indeed thanks for posting it.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Interesting that this link should pop up here. I read through the ".303British" site about six months ago when chasing down material on the SMLE and the Ross and the "headspace issue", and glanced at this page briefly before moving on.

The 308Win. vs 7.62NATO headspace issue is exactly the same problem as made the Ross so unreliable...though for a different set of variables. The Ross in .303 was a precision-machined newly-designed rifle machined on a new prouction line, and when used with CANADIAN-made .303 to VERY rigoroous and uniform standards it had no problems, even in Flanders' mud.

But the CEF simply didn't bring enough to Europe and had to start using British-made .303 after four months - which was NOT uniform by any means - as it was made for the sloppier-machined Lee-Enfield breech, leading to blockages and jams in the breech from the Headspace problem when odd-shapped and -sized british rounds jammed.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

huh...

we were just taught that the Ross was a peice of crap :D

nah, i figured that because of the straight-pull design, you had less leverage to extract if something got in the works. didn't the Steyr-mannichler jam often because of something like that? maybe that too...
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

There is one thing I am curious about, is it possible to find a 98k with the waffen SS sig runes, if so what would the value of that be?

-Mike
Schultz
Contributor

Post by Schultz »

The value on "SS" marked rifles is generally between 500 to 1000 U.S. dollars. Always depending on condition. Be very careful as the market has been flooded the past year or two with fakes, there was very few K-98's marked this way, sometimes only with a single rune or both also with a deaths head. I personally avoid them for purchase just because places actually sell the stamps to mark them yourself (sadley we live in a world of thieves in collectibles).
The rune stamping was originally done on rifles that were refurbished in concentration camps under ss supervision and the marking is to denote this so the ss would be paid for the work. Originals are almost always "bnz" marked rifles for the Steyr-Daimler-Puch factory at Munichholz or Mauthausen.
Maney sellers give the statement that the rifles were made for special ss troops, this is not true. Some rifles as well as pistols were marked by individuals or units but very few, SS officers were known to have there pistols so marked by the camp workers.
Like collecting anything just be wary of fakes. As on one auction site i found a guy trying to sell a deaths head marked Luger and holster that he or someone faked for 14,000 dollars, he is obviously a crook because he was informed by maney of us on the Luger collector forum that it was a fake before he posted it on auction site.

Good Luck

Schultz
"There ain't no sanity clause" The Damned