Jerrycan

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

ARQUILLE

Jerrycan

Post by ARQUILLE »

Hello
I make an update on the heading about german Jerrycans on my personal web site http://sdkfz7.free.fr
I thank you for your visit
Regards
ARQUILLE Stephane
Ian Earl
Contributor

Post by Ian Earl »

Hi Arquille

I am a soldier and what we in the British army call a Petroleum Operator.
In the 80's i came across several old WW2 cans with German markings. The most interesting of which was impressed with a palm tree and dated 1942, if i remember correctly.

I assumed this was from the Afrika Korps. Wish i had kept it now.
Somewhere far far away doing secret things to nasty people in hot climates. Sssshhhh dont tell the wife, she thinks I play a piano in a whore house!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The British Army LOVED the original "Jerry cans" - used and kept using as many as they could get their hands on. So much safer than the old square section tin "Pratt's Petrol" cans they used to have...that split if you looked at them, and doubly worse in the desert heat! And the Jerry Can could be used for ANY liquid if flushed properly cos it only has the one long seam, all other angles are no-retaining curves - if British petrol tins were bad, their water cans were just...amazing :( :( :(
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds