Question about Panzer nomenclature

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

Hello
The Tiger came out almost a year before the Panther. Why, then, is it known as the PzVI while the latter is PzV? Should it not be the other way round?
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

Post by Rudi S. »

According to the book "World War II Tanks", by Eric Grove:
...In 1942, Henschel and Porsche demonstrated their prototypes. The Henschel VK 4501 design was the superior one and ir was accepted into service as the PzKpfw VI Tiger Ausf H (SdKfz 181). The tank was renamed Ausf E in 1944.
...It was hoped that 250 PzKpfw V Panther would be in service bu May 1943. In September, the month that the first two test pilot models appeared, Hitler raised this target to 600.

Seems like your stement is correct.
Rudi S.
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

Sorry Rudi. I don't think I made myself clear.
What I meant was that if the Panther came after the Tiger it would have made more sense to call the Tiger the PzV and the Panther the PzVI. For some reason it's the other way around.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Off the cuff, when were the designs started, or the plans accepted? That could be a factor.

Imad, package arrive?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Tom, think this was addressed elsewhere - the Panther project stopped and started a couple of times, but I don't know the exact dates. Also, the Tiger programme in total design time in the sense of manhours was shorter, as it was the end of a derivative line of tanks, whereas the Panther with its sloping armour and performance was the start of a completely new family thats still around today in the shape of the Leopards.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

Tom Houlihan wrote:Off the cuff, when were the designs started, or the plans accepted? That could be a factor.

Imad, package arrive?
Negative, Tom
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Going from memory here but I think the MAN design that became the Panther was approved in May 1942 (the 14th?) and the Henschel design that was to be the Tiger somewhere in July of that same year.
That is the only thing that I know of where the Pz V went before the Pz VI. In the various design and development stages the orders for the later Pz VI were ususally given before those for the Panther.

Cheers,

Paul