Karabiner-98k

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Henk85

Karabiner-98k

Post by Henk85 »

The main rifle of the German army which is the Kar-98k. What is the rifle good at? Sniping? Fire power? Soldier damage? If there are many things the rifle is good at and both of them I wrote then explain about it that what is it good at.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Henke

Its a lovely gun accurate out to a considerable range and still in demand by hunters today. Was also employed with telescopic sights for snipers.
Bolt action hence low rate of fire in comparison to machinepistols or gas operated rifles like K43 and US Garand.

You can easily google up the exect specs on the weapon but its one of those that can shoot farther than I can see!

Obsolete (in my opinion) except as sniper rifle by 1942 when MP44 Assault Rifles showed up but never replaced by that in enough quantity to make a big difference.

Bolt action rifles were old tech by then which meant a) they worked really well, but b) there was better stuff available.

cheers
Reb
Gunter_Viezenz

Post by Gunter_Viezenz »

I do believe that the German snipers claimed that the K98k had better balistics than the K43. But I always thought it was called the G43 and not the K43.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Gunter

You're probably right - G(Gewher) 43. Apparently wasn't so hot in some ways - there is a web sight out there some where devoted to it which goes into some detail (sorry I don't have the URL handy).

Was semiauto though, which certainly makes a diff to me. Don't like getting knocked in the head and having a sore shoulder when I shoot!

cheers
Reb
ww2germancavalry.info

Post by ww2germancavalry.info »

The G43 was notorious for the receiver splitting or cracking when fired.
Also, rate of fire wasnt necessarily a factor for troops. I know the Marines in the Pacific prefered the Springfield '01 over the Garand because it was more durable and accurate, someone even came up with the ingenious idea of spot-welding BAR magazines onto the '01 to increase capacity and confuse the Japs (who were used to the 5 round capacity of both the '02 and Garand).
In open ccountry like the Ostfront I would have prefered the 98k, myself.
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Avete,

Indeed, the Karbine 98K is quite an excellent rifle. Tough, reliable, safe, (for the user, if they know what they are doing) powerful, accurate, and long ranged. I own three of them, and in the manual for one of mine it says, "Your rifle can shoot accurately up to 1,000 meters. You, however, cannot." :D

I have heard that at long ranges, self loading weapons are not quite as accurate due to the working bolt throwing the aim off slightly.

Still, unless I was sniping I would prefer an automatic loader.

Valete,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

If you are truly interested in this rifle, the G/K43, come join!!!!
http://www.gk43forum.com/forum/index.php
Gunter_Viezenz

Post by Gunter_Viezenz »

Also I read that the G43 had inferior ballistics to the K98k. I think I read this at a site which had interview with 3 top German snipers. Donno the authenticity of it but it sounds reasonable.
MikeWindheuser
Supporter

Post by MikeWindheuser »

I fired the Cz24 last time i was in the Czech Republic (about a month ago) in a gun club in Prague. I don't know how similar the sights were, but the rest of the rifle is very like the K98. I'm not a sniper, but i wouldnt say i was a bad shot, gaining some shooting awards in my CCF and scoring well with the other rifles in the club, but the Cz24 had a minimum range of 75meters on the sights and i was firing at a target at about 30-40m and only manged to score 2 hits out of 5. My father, who is a better shot, only got one hit and our friends didnt get any, this is most probaly because the sights could not be adjusted but therefore leads me to believe that the thing would be relatively useless at closer ranges, especially since it's rate of fire isn't too amazing either, it was probably alot better at longer ranges, however. Hope this helps!

Mike
Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men.
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp

a very good site has rifles and pistols down the left side

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp

this link is direct to the 98k and has specifacations etc.
"Gott Mit Uns"
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

Hello

Code: Select all

[quote]I know the Marines in the Pacific prefered the Springfield '01 over the Garand because it was more durable and accurate, someone even came up with the ingenious idea of spot-welding BAR magazines onto the '01 to increase capacity and confuse the Japs (who were used to the 5 round capacity of both the '02 and Garand). 
[/quote]
[quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Marine Corps phase out the Springfield towards the end of the Pacific War?
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
carldoc

Post by carldoc »

The Springfield was designated The Model 1903. The Marines were issued 1903's as well as 1903-A1 Rifles. The A-1's had a pistol grip stock. They were 5 shot. The M1 rifle AKA the Garand was not 5 shot but 8 shot. The M1's replaced the 03's and 03-A1's but there were never enough M1 rifles to supply to every soldier so the 03's/03A-1's were still issued durring WW2 and even found their way onto the battlefields of Vietnam.
Osterhase
Supporter

Post by Osterhase »

Actually the Springfield is the 1903 A3, with the A4 the sniper variant.

"The G43 was notorious for the receiver splitting or cracking when fired."

This is common with reenactors because blanks in adapted rifles are several times more powerful upon recoil at the rear of the reciever. It WAS NOT common with live ammo during WWII. There were numerous flaws with the rifles built by slave labor/concentration camp, but that is indicative of the labor and materials, not design or other manufacturers.
tigre
Patron

Re: Karabiner-98k

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a query...................................

A perfect couple!

Source: https://wartimeline.com/1939-1945-wwii- ... fault.html

98k? Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
The rifle must always be in perfect working order..........
The rifle must always be in perfect working order..........
image095.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 5972 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.