Close defence MGs on Jagdpanzer IV

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Bryson C

Post by Bryson C »

This picture may help.

http://forum.axishistory.com/files/jadgpanzeriv_3_.jpg

From: Jadgpanzer jadgpanzer Iv to jadgpanther / Horst Scheibert
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

Unfortunately the link doesn't work. It says that the site doesn't allow remote linking.

If you could post the location of the picture within that site, then I can go there and find it myself.

Thanks.
Bryson C

Post by Bryson C »

Link worked for me.

Here is the direct link, to the thread I posted the pic in:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 120#445120
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Got it now. Nice picture; quite rare with the mesh Schurzen too. It's the less common Alkett produced variant with the higher casemate. Funny looking vehicle, and taller and heavier than necessary compared to the usual Vomag production type.

I wish the photo were clear enough to see if the MG is a 34 or 42. I'd imagine a 34, for easier barrel changes as the barrel is extracted directly backwards rather than to the side.

The details of photos like this always interest me a lot; do you have any idea which theatre the picture shows?

Thanks a lot for the link.
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

At first glance I thought it was an MG42 due to the two dark lines forming the barrel. One being the bottom of the gun and the other the long opening along the right side of the gun. But having had a closer (as in: mega magnified) look I think it is an MG34. The top dark line isn't straight at all so it won't be metal I guess.
Looks like the leather strap is attached :? .
A lot of guesses about a fuzzy picture, not sure if it's worth anything!
Nice photo though.

Cheers,

Paul
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Just enlarged the picture and I can see that the barrel jacket is not significantly wider than the flash hider on the muzzle, which points strongly to an MG34. The MG42 has a wider barrel jacket in relation to the flash hider. So I agree, it must be an MG34.

The sling/strap (if it is that) being attached is very unusual. I don't know if armoured vehicle MGs were issued with slings or not, although they had the normal butts and trigger mechanisms, so they could of course be used outside the vehicle.