Panzer Workshops in Breslau?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Dubliner
Supporter

Panzer Workshops in Breslau?

Post by Dubliner »

I have been searching for information about German vehicle manufacturing, repair workshops and supply depots in Breslau. I have found a references to FAMO Werk Breslaua as well as both Heerespanzernebenzeugämter (HPNZa) and Heereszeugämter (HZa) facilities in Breslau. I am assuming that the HPNZa presence in Breslau included a significant panzer rebuilding/repair workshop? Can anyone confirm or add any additional information?
dect
Supporter

Post by dect »

Hello
I'll try to help you - can you give me some more details, e.g time period etc.

Regards fron Poland
Jacek
Dubliner
Supporter

Post by Dubliner »

The time period I am interested in is January 1945, and I trying to determine if any workshops in Breslau were repairing Panthers. A Pz.Gren.Div.Brandenburg veteran claims that a company of Panthers operated with the unit from Feb45 to the end of the war. I am trying find if all the potential sources of vehicles for a “BR” panther company which would have been formed in Breslau.

Best Regards - From NE Thailand for the next few weeks anyway...

Dubliner.
dect
Supporter

Post by dect »

I've asked some of my friends from Breslau/Wroclaw and they claim that there were no Panther tanks in 1945 in the city.

According to its former commander (Leo Hartmann) there were some "Sturmpanzer IV mit der langen Pantherkanone" (Jagdpanzer IV) as a one of the units defendig city. Maybe they were taken as a Pathers by mistake.

Sorry but that it's all information I'd gathered...
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Why should they did not had Panthers :?:

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... c&start=15

Jan-Hendrik
dect
Supporter

Post by dect »

Hello
Sorry, but I see no Breslau mentioned there

Jacek
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

But I./PR Brandenburg :wink:

Jan-Hendrik
dect
Supporter

Post by dect »

Ok, now I see :) But how about this part: "But the unit joined the Pz.Gren.Div. Kurmark instead"? Does it mean that this particular unit (I./Pz.Rgt. BR/Pz.Gren.Div. BR) joined PzDiv Kurmark and fought with it?
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Ups , you are right , I overread that :oops:

Jan-Hendrik
dect
Supporter

Post by dect »

Are you interested into PzGrenDiv Brandenburg?
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Never ... :D

Not at all in all fights on eastern Front in 1945 , especially the employment of the tank units and the fortresses .... :wink:

:D

Jan-Hendrik
Ron Klages
In Memorium †

Breslau

Post by Ron Klages »

No Panthers in Breslau defense in 1945. The only armor there was Panzer Kompanie Breslau with 6 StuG III Ausf Gs from StuG Brig 311 under the command of Leo Hartmann, 1 Sturmpanzer IV, 6 Panzer IIs The Kompanie was part of Panzerjägerabteilung Breslau under the command of Oberlt. Retter. This unit also include 3 infanterie kompanies armed with anti-tank mines and panzerfausts.

In addtion there were two platoons of remote controlled "Goliaths", a small explosive packed minature tank that had been flown into the city and under the command of Lts. Kohne and Terjung, 96 in total.

On 18 April 1945 the remaining 3 StuG IIIs of Leo Hartmann ambushed the Russians destroying 25 Soviet tanks and assault guns and forcing others to witdraw. Hartmann alone accounted for 13 of the Soviet tanks. On 30 April 1945 Hartmann received the Ritterkreutz for his actions in the Breslau defense.

Source for this information comes from the book Siege by Patrick McTaggart.

Best regards,

Ron Klages
Ron Klages
Lynnwood, Washington USA
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Ron et al.!

Leutnant d. R. Leo Hartmann survived the war and continued to serve his country, ending as a Hauptmann d. R. in the Bundesheer. Hauptmann d. R. Leo Hartmann died on September 4, 1995 in Würzburg. The only photo that I have found is from his Bundesheer time so now I wonder if any member have a wartime photo of him?

Leo Hartmann
http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Pirx
Associate

Re: Breslau

Post by Pirx »

Ron Klages wrote: On 30 April 1945 Hartmann received the Ritterkreutz for his actions in the Breslau defense.
Ron Klages
He received award by phone or mail? :wink:
Breslau siege was very strange. Commanders tried to surrender few days earlier, but boys from HJ not allow HQ emisary meet Russian general.
Epaminondas
Supporter

Post by Epaminondas »

Over on Axis history forum, some one references a report from Breslau to higher command that they had fixed a pair of tigers, and that was the only armor left.