I have some live bullets

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

guitarkid583

I have some live bullets

Post by guitarkid583 »

I bought some german bullets at a flee market. They are still in their original cardboard boxes. One has two loaded stripper clips, the other is about 15 bullets. All are still live with the Nazi Eagle stamped on them.
The one that has just rounds reads:
Patr. .s .S
P162. 13. L39
Nz. Gew. Bl.P.(2-2-0,45):Rdf. 1933-(cant read)
Patrh.:S*P 162.7.L.39-Gesch.:P162.7.L.39
Zdh. 88: S. K. D. 468. L. 39

The one with stripper clips reads:
10 Stuck
8mm M. 30 scharfe
S-Patronen
Rottw.
XI. 1938

Any idea how much these are worth?
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Not sure about value, but I do know about safety, be sure to be very careful with aged explosives and ammo. It can become very unstable over time, especially if it wasn't properly stored in the past. You certainly don't want it to go off in your face or unexpectedly!! :shock:
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Ave guitarkid,

I second Jasons advice. Be very careful with old ammunition, especially if the primer looks rusty. I handle old ammunition quite a bit, and the hole in my wall is a reminder to have a healthy respect for it. :shock: :shock:
As for it's worth, I don't know exactly. What did you pay for it?

Vale,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
guitarkid583

Post by guitarkid583 »

I payed about $25 USD for them all. Just to be safe, do you guys know how I should store these?

Thanks
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Sounds reasonable enough, I am not an expert on ammo and the like though so I can't really say if they are worth more than that. Sounds like a good deal either way.

As for storing, I would suggest taking them to a local gun dealer or shop, or maybe a gun show, and showing them to someone and asking if they appear stable and safe to keep. Clear signs of unstable ammo will be heavily discolored rounds, rust or corrosion on the jacket, bent or clearly damaged areas around the base of the round, etc. They will tell you at a glance if they look safe, in which case I would suggest storing them in either a sealed ammo box container, or possibly in some form of display case where they won't be handled, dropped, exposed to the elements, etc.
Schultz
Contributor

Post by Schultz »

I take it these are the rounds for the Styer-Mannlicher 8x56 rifle, they have been well kept over the years the ones you have should be nice and shiney i take it like the ones i have. I purchased mine at a gunshow for $2 a box.
They should be fine if stored in a cool dry place with no drastic temperature changes, you could also take the powder out and remove the primers if you know someone that can do it if you dont know how.
It is ammunition that was manufactured prior to ww2 and as Jason says if your not sure take it to someone you know or a shop and be sure.

Schultz
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Avete,

Mostly, just avoid jarring the ammo too much. Put them in a place where they are not going to be knocked off any sort of height. I keep my ammo under my bed.

Valete,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

One link in german language, incl. many photos, very informative.

Homepage: http://waffeninfo.net/index.php

Munition: http://waffeninfo.net/munition.php :roll:

Michael
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

Last edited by Nordwest on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nordwest

Post by Nordwest »

ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

Do you have a pic of the Eagle stamp? I have never seen an 8mm round with the German Eagle stamped on it. Usually manufacturer, year of production and some other sparse numbers. All 8mm rifle rounds came in 15 round boxes, some on stripper clips (5 per clip), some not. What you got is nothing special, places in the US sell surplus German ammo all the time. Just got 1000 rds for 80$ last year, ammo is dated 1940. What color is the stripe on the box?
guitarkid583

Post by guitarkid583 »

I will post some pictures as soon as I can