Pzkpfw 'Maus'

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Rolf Steiner
Associate

Pzkpfw 'Maus'

Post by Rolf Steiner »

I think I read an 'unconfirmed report' somewhere that the prototype maus actually saw unscheduled front-line action when russian troops approached the development site? anyone know the real story? there's some confusing info doing the rounds on this model - I also read in one book that the prototype model was destroyed by the russians, but they do appear to have something looking very like it in one of their tank museums to this day!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
wiltaz
Contributor

Post by wiltaz »

Here is what I found on the Maus in my source.

"The V1 prototype was tested with a simulated turret in December 1943 and with a turret and aramament in June 1944. The turretless V2 started tests in Sep 1944, but the engine was destroyed in an accident and wasn't replaced until April 1945. Bother prototypes were blown up at Kummersdorf."

No mention is made of them fighting so I think it's safe to assume that the Germans did the blowing up not the Russians. Doesn't sound like they'd be all that combat worthy on top of them needing lots of fuel to operate which they didn't have. V2 didn't even sound like it had received it's turret due to the delays with having to get a new engine.
Mobile Infantry
Supporter

Post by Mobile Infantry »

Well the truth is in the middle. Found this article in at a german website:

http://www.waffenhq.de/panzer/maus.html
... Neben den beiden Prototypen V1 und V2 befanden sich schon einige weitere Prototypen in Bau, die allerdings bis Kriegsende nicht mehr fertiggestellt wurden. Sowohl der V1 als auch der V2 wurden von ihren Besatzungen gesprengt, als die Rote Armee das Versuchsgelände in Kummersdorf erreichte. Darüber hinaus gibt es auch Gerüchte, dass die beiden "Maus"-Panzer bei der Verteidigung des Testgeländes eingesetzt wurden. Auf jeden Fall konnten die russischen Truppen die unversehrte Wanne des V1 sowie den Turm des V2 erbeuten und damit einen kompletten Panzer "Maus" zusammenbauen. Dieses Fahrzeug wurde von den Russen ausgiebig erprobt und kann heute noch im Panzermuseum in Kubinka bei Moskau bewundert werden. ...
Translation for those you don´t speak german:
Apart from the two prototypes V1 and V2 there were already some more prototypes but they were not completed until end of war.
Both the V1 and V2 have been destroyed by their crews when Red Army reached the testing ground at Kummersdorf. There are certain rumors that both Maus-Tanks were used in defending the testing ground.
The russian troops managed to capture the intact chassis of tank V1 and a complete turret of V2 and by connecting these parts they had a complete tank "Maus". This vehicle has been tested by the Russians intensively and still can be regarded at tank museum Kubinka near Moskau.

Different sites but same story:
http://www.panzerlexikon.de/proto.htm http://www.chez.com/barbarossa/kub01b.html
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/ ... usber.html
As all soldiers know since thousands of years death is not noble. It´s just very final.
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

so, in a sort of 'stationary pillbox' capacity I'm imagining? If so, I wonder how long the 'Mausen' (??) held things up for? Amazing such a 'non-runner' should still have been in development so late in the day... maybe they should have cut their losses and adapted them as coastal artillery in 1944!
xavier
Contributor

Post by xavier »

for the maus picture file go here:
part I
http://community.webshots.com/album/338373567tFqDcx
part II
http://news.webshots.com/album/550277193oyITjc
Xavier
Instandsetzungtruppfuhrer
Last edited by xavier on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Hey Xavier

Thanks, those are interesting pictures - odd there's no kind of markings on the vehicles other than camo paint, i wonder if that was standard with prototypes?
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

oh,and those 'knocked out' pics are particularly interesting - couldn't make out if that looked like it had been caused by enemy gunfire (which might support the theory the maus had been used in defence), or scuppered (if that's not too nautical a term) by its own troops. Looks like one hell of a tricky salvage operation in any case!
xavier
Contributor

Post by xavier »

sorry to disappoint you, but no combat pictures, the lack of other damage (combat damage; ie: direct hits, sharpnel, bounced hits, etc ) beside the blown up deck confirms the tank was blown indeed by german personnell........

Xavier

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
xavier
Contributor

Post by xavier »

*bump*
anyone "new" pics of the maus..?

Xavier

Cicero
xavier
Contributor

Re: Pzkpfw 'Maus'

Post by xavier »

pics of the remote control scale model presentation to hitler, and the wooden mockup have been added now

Xavier

Cicero