Panzer IV Ausf F2 first combat?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Lexxx
Supporter

Panzer IV Ausf F2 first combat?

Post by Lexxx »

Can anyone tell me the first time the Pz. IV Ausf F2 first saw combat? I know that a few of this varient were delivered to the Pz. Divisions before the kick-off of Operation Blue in June 1942. However, had this model been delivered in time to see action during the Second Battle of Kharkov in May 1942? Any help is sincerely appreciated.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Some had made it to N. Africa by April/May 1942, and as the trip to the Russian front was quicker, & they had, naturally a higher priority, it would seem logical that they would have been available by April 1942 at the very latest. But I have nothing to support this theory, other than logic. :? :D
Thanks. Dave.
Bryson C

Post by Bryson C »

There is no Panzer IV Ausf.F2. The 'Ausf.F2' name was used briefly but changed to 'Ausf.G' there is no difference between the F2 and G just different names. The F2 name only survives because two manuals were printed. The first major offensive employment of Panzer IVs with the 7.5 cm L/43 was during Operation Venezia (Rommel’s pre-emptive strike against the British in Libya) in late may 1942.
Lexxx
Supporter

F2 v. G

Post by Lexxx »

Bryson,

Isn't there slight differences between the Ausf F2 and Ausf G varients? It was my understanding that the Ausf G had slight thicker turret armour and winter combat modifications.

Do you know when the Ausf F2 first saw combat on the Russian Front?
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

No, no difference at all.
Thanks. Dave.
Lexxx
Supporter

F1 v. F2 v. G

Post by Lexxx »

Bryson,

So would I be correct if I state the only difference between the Ausf F1 and the Ausf F2 or G is the main gun?
Bryson C

Re: F2 v. G

Post by Bryson C »

Lexxx wrote:Bryson,

Isn't there slight differences between the Ausf F2 and Ausf G varients? It was my understanding that the Ausf G had slight thicker turret armour and winter combat modifications.

Do you know when the Ausf F2 first saw combat on the Russian Front?
Like I said there is no Ausf.F2, and the onlt difference is the name. I am not sure when the Panzer IV Ausf.G first saw combat in the East, but at the beginning of the Summer offensive on June 28 1942 there were 135 Panzer IV Ausf.Gs with units of Army Group South.
Last edited by Bryson C on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryson C

Re: F1 v. F2 v. G

Post by Bryson C »

Lexxx wrote:Bryson,

So would I be correct if I state the only difference between the Ausf F1 and the Ausf F2 or G is the main gun?
The difference between the Ausf.G and its predecessor the Ausf.F was:
-longer gun (obviously)
-Larger amour guard for recoil and recuperator cylinders
-Ammunition racks for longer rounds
-Strengthened internal travel lock
-Auxiliary hand turret traverse for loader
von_noobie
Associate

Post by von_noobie »

plus the IV ausf G had a optional armour plate of 30mm, and to go into detail the PzKpfw IV Ausf. F2 carried more ammo for the secondary gun, 3192 bullets, and PzKpfw IV Ausf. F2 had a hull lenght of 6.63 m while the IV ausf G had a hull lenght of 6.62 and the IV ausf G had 500 more kg of weight, i also think the sights were different not sure thought
Bryson C

Post by Bryson C »

von_noobie wrote:plus the IV ausf G had a optional armour plate of 30mm, and to go into detail the PzKpfw IV Ausf. F2 carried more ammo for the secondary gun, 3192 bullets, and PzKpfw IV Ausf. F2 had a hull lenght of 6.63 m while the IV ausf G had a hull lenght of 6.62 and the IV ausf G had 500 more kg of weight, i also think the sights were different not sure thought
There is no Ausf.F2, the F2 and Ausf.G are the same tank, the only difference is the name.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Bryson is correct. The confusion arises because some quite well respected author's books contain common errors.
Thanks. Dave.
von_noobie
Associate

Post by von_noobie »

oh!! ok damn authors and internet sites,
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

von_noobie wrote:oh!! ok damn authors and internet sites,
hehehe...That's an entirely different thread, and it's already been hit! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

I seem to recall the so-called Ausf. F2 having a different muzzlebrake than the Ausf. G. All vehicles with a 'ball-shaped' muzzlebrake being refered to as F2 and later vehicles with the 'typical' muzzlebrake being refered to as G. The F2 being an upgunned F1 and only after changing the muzzlebrake and adding some armour was the vehicle refered to as Ausf. G. Of course this information is based on various books and sites. Are they all wrong?
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Yeah. But let's not go there again.
Thanks. Dave.