First use of mg42

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Sebastian Pye
Enthusiast

First use of mg42

Post by Sebastian Pye »

Is it possible to pinpoint the first day and place the mg42 was used at the front?
ratdog
Contributor

MG42 Use

Post by ratdog »

I used mine last weekend if that means anything..................Bruce

http://home.dejazzd.com/ratdog/DSC00011.JPG
xavier
Contributor

hello Ratdog

Post by xavier »

Nice picture,

specially since all the green grass is gone now (winter is down here)

by the empty casings you did lots of firing!!!

regards

Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
ratdog
Contributor

MG42

Post by ratdog »

Xavier,
Did you see the G41 and G43 in the background laying on the box? The G41 is a great rifle, can't say that for my G43. Gun is temperamental(spelling?!?), but the G41 usually hits what you aim it hit!!! Took that pic with my digital camera, I am working on mpeg's of us shooting. Look for them soon...........................Bruce
xavier
Contributor

g41 and g43

Post by xavier »

I have myself a NRA "NIB" G41 (w) that I acquired about 5 years ago, and in my colection I have only missing (as by now) the following

(one of each)

K98K
mp28
G43
goliath demolition panzer (In process of buying!!) thanks DCC!!
Tiger I

rest of the infantry guns I already own... :D

I have alraeady a mg42 parts set, and i am looking to buy a 80% receiver from http://www.brpguns.com (nicest and most complete arounf

Regards

Xavier

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
ratdog
Contributor

MG42

Post by ratdog »

I have several 42 parts kits, and they all include the receiver cut into pieces. The kit I got from BRP, which by the way cost the most, did not include the cut receiver. It did however include the bolt rails which are cut in the other kits. I guess it is a fair trade off if I ever need those parts for my gun. I see you have a G41 also, do you have an extra bayonet lug or know where I can get one? :shock:
xavier
Contributor

parts

Post by xavier »

let me work on that, you want parkerized or blued>?

they (BRP) are selling now the receiver cut sections (minus trunnion, and flashider receiver sections) for about 35 usd, I just got a set of rails from seller "beltfed" on ebay....

I am saving now for an infatry tripod.....

regards

Xavier

Cicero
ratdog
Contributor

MG42

Post by ratdog »

Xavier, check your messenger box!!!

Bruce
Sebastian Pye
Enthusiast

Post by Sebastian Pye »

Nice pic. How much does mg42 ammo cost? Do any of you guys have any russian weapons? You say your g41 is good but not the g43? I thought it was the opposite, that g41s sucked and g43s were pretty good although with some problems.
ratdog
Contributor

mg42

Post by ratdog »

Here in the US, 8mm surplus costs anywhere from 6 to 10 cents a round, fairly inexpensive. My G43 I only fired a couple times. It seemed the end barrel cap would come off the spring on every shot. I fired it a couple months ago and held the sling tight to prevents the cap from popping off the spring clip. Since then I have gotten an original spring to replace the one on the gun. I haven't fired it yet to see if that solved the problem. The g41 is fun to shoot, very accurate at 200 yds (for me at least). Last week I tore that gun down to the stock and found the stock is getting or had a lot of damage to it. I am probably going to get it fixed in the spring next year and retire the gun from shooting. It is cracked in the area under the safety lever. Also started pushing the cross lug back into the stock due to excessive recoil (I think). Later...........Bruce
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

I don't know about the day, but I believe the MG42 was first used in the 1942 summer offensive of the Germans in Russia. Of course, y'all probably already knew that, eh?!!! :D

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
SvenW
Contributor

Re: First use of mg42

Post by SvenW »

Sebastian Pye wrote:Is it possible to pinpoint the first day and place the mg42 was used at the front?
Against British troops in Tunesia in may ´42.

Sven.
Sebastian Pye
Enthusiast

Post by Sebastian Pye »

hehehe thx! finally I got the answer :D
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

At last you got your answer. I expect Sven is right. The MG42 was designed to work in extreme conditions of frost or sand whereas the apparently simple MG34 was actually built to the tolerances of a Swiss watch.

Roger
EK II

Post by EK II »

According to my information, the very first field use of the MG42 was during the defence of the Mius river line in southern Russia against the Soviet winter offensive of 1941-42.

A few examples had reached the German frontline troops and were proven highly effective against Soviet human-wave attacks.