You are a now a Panzer Kommander, pick your Panzer!

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

You are a now a Panzer Kommander, pick your Panzer!

Post by 2nd SS Panzer Das Reich »

What kind of panzer would you like to drive.

Pzkpfw III: This Panzer is very fast but lacks stoping power. does not have many break downs. This Panzer was used well by the Afika Korps however this Panzer is hoplessly outclassed by the T-34

Pzkpfw IV: has a much stronger gun than the Panzer III but is slower it also has thicker armor. It is reliable, and like the Panzer III is out armored and out maneuvered by the Soviet T-34s

Captured Soviet T-34: ah yes the relieble T-34 it can be repaired with ease, and oprates well in mud and snow. It has a good balance of firpower speed and maneuvering.

Pzkpfw V Panther: The German copy of the T-34 is more than a match for the T-34 but early ones suffered countless break downs. But a few nuts and bolts work over 1944 changed that. The Panther was most likely the best all round tank of World War II.

Pzkpfw IV Tiger: The famous Tiger! It was so powerful and well armored it took 5 Shermans to take out a single Tiger and only 1 Sherman returned to base... This is the Panzer the feared Wittman used. It was a bit underpowered, But made up for this with its 88mm gun which was able to break threw any tanks armor, It was a bit of a underdog as fare as gun power goes when compared to the IS-2 but made up for this with a higher rate of fire.

Pzkpfw VI Konigstiger: The most heavly armored tank of World War II, there is nothing to prove that its front armor was ever broken threw, It also had a upgraded 88mm gun, making it all the more deadly. However It was heavy and underpowered. It broke down and ran out of fuel many times. But was a outstanding weapon for defense or breaking threw strong enemy lines.

I believe the Panther was the best all round with the Tiger II being the most lethal. Though if I was a Panzer Kommander I would rather drive A Tiger I. What about the rest of you, what Panzer would you pick?
Wehrmacht: men of courage
garandman

Post by garandman »

Definitely the Panther. Sure it copied a lot from the Russians but, hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You're right, the Panther was finicky at first, but they definitely improved on it. The only drawback might be the 75mm, especially when dealing with IS-2 tanks. I think the solution would be to have 2 Panther companies per battalion plus one of Tiger IIs, which would be used for serious tank killing and defense (am I right on the 3 armored companies per battalion? I'm just pulling this out of my head).
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Define Panzer Commander. If I'm the commander of a panzer battalion, give me the Panther, hands-down. But if I'm sitting in the bloody thing with swarms of enemy tanks coming at me, I want the biggest, heaviest son-of-a-bitch in the neighborhood. I don't care how often it breaks down - that's why god made mehanics - give me a Tiger II. Better still, I'll wait for a Maus. Call me when it's ready, I'll be in Denmark.
kramer
Supporter

Post by kramer »

A write in vote; I'll take a StuG IV please with the L/48 gun.
kramer.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

I would rather drive a Tiger , because the the 88mm gun on the turret has a good turning rate. And it can speen around to bring the gun to bare and into the face of your enemy. It can also move much better than the IS-2 all you have to do is get within 1000 meters of a IS-2 and you got it, I would be very careful to make sure I was not caught by a IS-2 from a range of more than 1000 meters.
Jagdtiger
Supporter

Post by Jagdtiger »

I´d rather choose the Jagdtiger :D

2nd SS: Cool motto... 8)
Gott mit uns!
Michae1

Post by Michae1 »

I would rather take a jagdpanther... it gives good protection with a low profile and with a 88mm gun...
I don't think a Puma would be too bad...(in order to get away quickly)
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne »

The Panther wasn't a copy of the T-34. The copy vehicle, made by Daimler-Benz, was abandonned.

Also, the Jagdpanther was a tall vehicle - it was only 23 cm. shorter than the Jagdtiger.
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:The Panther wasn't a copy of the T-34. The copy vehicle, made by Daimler-Benz, was abandonned.

Also, the Jagdpanther was a tall vehicle - it was only 23 cm. shorter than the Jagdtiger.
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz4.htm#panther
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne »

2nd SS Panzer Das Reich wrote:http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz4.htm#panther
http://www.example.com

See, I can make links too - but what is your point?
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello!

Christian is correct! The Panther was not a copy of the T34. It would be more accurate to state that the Panther was INFLUENCED by the T34. Influenced but NOT copied.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Christian,
Do you know how far Daimler Benz got with the T34 copy?
did it even get off the drawing board?
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Wolfkin wrote:Hello!

Christian is correct! The Panther was not a copy of the T34. It would be more accurate to state that the Panther was INFLUENCED by the T34. Influenced but NOT copied.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
All and all your right, however various things about the T-34 were copyed by the Germans when it came to building the Panther. Like the larger wheels, sloped armor, and larger gun.
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello!

I don't think the Germans got the idea of the larger wheels from the T34 since they already had these on some of their tanks, like the Tiger. Sloped armour perhaps yes. Larger gun, well again see the Tiger. Also, the gun was not larger, per se, it was after all a 75mm. The Germans already had 75mm on their PzKpfw IV. The T34 was a 76.2mm. The thing was the 75 on the Panther had a longer barrel and as such a higher muzzle velocity.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
2nd SS Panzer Das Reich
Supporter

Wolfkin wrote:Hello!

I don't think the Germans got the idea of the larger wheels from the T34 since they already had these on some of their tanks, like the Tiger. Sloped armour perhaps yes. Larger gun, well again see the Tiger. Also, the gun was not larger, per se, it was after all a 75mm. The Germans already had 75mm on their PzKpfw IV. The T34 was a 76.2mm. The thing was the 75 on the Panther had a longer barrel and as such a higher muzzle velocity.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
I doubt they did ethier... However I would surely say the T-34 hammered out the importance of such wheels. The T-34 was probably the most importent tank ever built in terms of setting the roots of future tanks.