The Mauser K98k and postwar production

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Slater

The Mauser K98k and postwar production

Post by Slater »

The Yugoslav M48 Mauser is a popular item on the Military surplus firearms market these days, with many specimens to be had in almost unissued condition complete with bayonet and other accessories. I'm told that this particular variant isn't exactly the same as the wartime K98k, but is known as an "intermediate" length Mauser. Did the Yugoslavs use ex-German machinery to manufacture these weapons? Were any leftover K98k parts used?
park ranger

Post by park ranger »

The Yugoslavians at first reworked captured German K98 rifles. They completely scrubbed almost all of the German proofmarks on these rifles, though one could find a Yugo reworked K98 with faint German markings. I believe the M48 came along at a later time. Since there is a difference in the size of the two rifles, I do not think that a German K98 bolt will work in a M48 rifle. I am not sure about other parts as to whether or not that they are interchangable.

On another note, Czechoslovakia produced K98 rifles from left over parts and new made parts for the East German Government. I recall seeing a photograph of such a rifle of having "TGF" on the receiver above the date 1950. I think the "TGF" was supposed to mean in German "Czech Rifle Works".

Hope this helps.
Herr Andersen

Post by Herr Andersen »

I have what we call in the statesa collectors licnese a FFL Type3 C&R(curio & relic) License. As such I have asmall collection of some 20 plus rifles of which I have purchased four k98ks and two M48s as part of my collection.
No, the M48 bolts are shorter than the K98ks.
It is true that the Yugoslavians did at first have some rifles after the end of WWII that were k98ks and indeed were refurbed and scrubbed but not all marks were peened.
These rifles are abit less($149) than the RC k98ks($180-$400) and all matching k98ks($400 and very high on up) in turn.

The Yugoslavians also have M24/47s and M24/52s which were derived from Beligan M24s and Czech VZ 24 rifles. I prefer the M24/variants to the M48s.
Now Im not placing the M48 last. I just prefer rifles such as the k98k,VZ 24 and M24 over the M48.
Infact some M48s are very nice. M48 as in all milled parts. Some are pretty rough. im not particulalrly interested in the M48as and BOs.
The M48a used some stamped parts and the stocks are not as nicely inletted and the BO is likea m48a with stamped parts as well as scrubbed of crest and markings for export on the arms market. Mideast being big buyer at the time.
Also, I absolutlely adore as well as have some Swedish Mausers.
A M96 1900 Obendorf and a M38 1941 Husquvarna. The Swedes used a 6.5x55mm round that is very accurate and actualy serves asa excellent whitetail deer round too!

The Swedes are by far very well made and very accurate rifles. but then so are some of the k98ks we are getting.