Strange Feature On Panther

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Wolfkin
Associate

Strange Feature On Panther

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone knows what this strange feature is that I have noticed often on the Panther tank. On several D and A models, but strangely on no G models, I have seen some strange looking contraption on the Driver's front mud guard. It almost looks like an antenna or gear shift changer but what is it doing on the mud guard? Would anyone happen to know what this contraption is? Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Dan Mouritzsen
Supporter

Post by Dan Mouritzsen »

Hi

It is a sort of distancemeter. It shows the driver were the corner of his vehicle are… A very good thing when you are parking the beast!

You see it on trucks and other vehicles too.

Regards

Dan Mouritzsen
Patrick
Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

Wow, I built a model of an Opel Blitz, which had those as well, and was just about to post this very same question!!!
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello Dan!

Thank you for your answer! I had no idea what these things were for. Thank you again!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi,

To park the "beast", well I guess one says : to push the houses :D
Can this thing be more useful for loading a Panther on a train or as a guide for the driver when he wants to set his "beast" on a small bridge ?
Anyway, "to park the beast" I like it, it sounds good.

So long.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket
Das Reich
Supporter

Post by Das Reich »

I built a model of a halftack and it had this on it. Thanks for the info! I also had no clue as to its purpose.
stab131
Contributor

Post by stab131 »

In 1988 my US Army unit got its first HUMVs. One of the first things we did, besides replace the pulley, was to put "guides" on the front of the vehicle so the drivers could tell where the corners of the vehicle were.
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello all!

Thank you for all of your responses, I never really noticed these things too much before! Thanks again!

Cheers,

Wolfkin