Tank & Anti-tank Gun Accuracy

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

David W
Patron

Tank & Anti-tank Gun Accuracy

Post by David W »

There are a huge ammount of tables and charts listing the armour piercing qualities of various guns, firing different ammo at differing ranges against various slopes of armour. Some are of dubious quality, some seem very accurate. But what is distictly lacking is any information on the accuracy of the guns. I appreciate some of this would be down to the quality/experience of the crews. The only information I have ever found, was, I believe in Thomas L Jentzs excellent book " Tank combat in North Africa" Can any one supply any more?
Darrin
Contributor

Re: Tank & Anti-tank Gun Accuracy

Post by Darrin »

David W wrote:There are a huge ammount of tables and charts listing the armour piercing qualities of various guns, firing different ammo at differing ranges against various slopes of armour. Some are of dubious quality, some seem very accurate. But what is distictly lacking is any information on the accuracy of the guns. I appreciate some of this would be down to the quality/experience of the crews. The only information I have ever found, was, I believe in Thomas L Jentzs excellent book " Tank combat in North Africa" Can any one supply any more?

The most accurte info on armour and guns I have seen is a booklet entiled WWII balistics by bird, livingston and overmatch press. I believe you have to contact lorrin bird himself to order it maybe $20 US.

It also has a bit of info about accuray as well for example at 2000m first shot hit % are generally below 10% for even the best guns. Follow up shots and adjustments can bring this up to 50% for statinonary and targets moving directly towards the gun. But objects moving across the target line max out at 25%.

There is a site called john salt's snippents on the british wargame site or company that has lots of great data on it.
David W
Patron

Thanks

Post by David W »

Thank you, I will look up that website.