TeNo Armscheibe Type 3.1 – TRIANGLE w Eagle
3.1 DUNKELBLAU Color SubType (Not a BLACK Color! As is often said by some Dealers.)
The General "Type 3.0" TeNo Armscheibe is the most ‘familiar’ TeNo Sleeve Patch. General TR Collectors are ‘Usually’ unaware of the other Types, but the knowledge curve is growing, thanks to recent Great Books! This Type 3.0 TeNo patch (in Dunkelblau) was introduced in 1935, but it was Not ‘Required’ to be worn as the replacement for the Type 2.0 “Diamond” until 1937. (IMO, since so much was going on within the TeNo during the early formative TR years, & since > 95% of TeNo members were unpaid Volunteers – I ‘believe’ that the extended time was wisely allowed due to financial considerations of the times.)
The Type 3.0 TeNo Armscheibe has the MOST SubTypes & Variations of ALL 4 Types! (Probably, because it was in use for the longest time - 1935 - 1945.)
The basic Type 3.0 TeNo Armscheibe has the following Characteristics:
• Wide Triangle Shape (Isosceles triangle with 2 shorter sides of same length – forming the ‘bottom.’)
• Dunkelblau (Navy Blue) Cloth Construction (Wool & also of Nylon)
• Machine ‘Woven” BeVo Type Fine Silver Wire (Aluminum) TeNo Eagle / Emblem.
• TeNo Eagle is the same as the 1935 Metal (Nickel-Silver) Type – But, with the BIG Difference, that the Eagle’s Head faces towards it’s RIGHT Wing [which is to the Viewer’s LEFT.]
• The Eagle is perched upon the Canted / Rotated Swastika, with the “TN” within a Surrounding Cog Wheel, Centered Inside of It - (Like the Emblem used for the Type 2.0 Armscheibe, but Not in Multi-Colors.)
• All 4 Arms of the Swastika appear as being ‘Cut-Out’ as a part of the ‘Woven” Aluminum Wire BeVo-Type construction.
VARIATIONS: At least three (3) Variations of Type 3.1 have been seen (So far - & I anticipate other Variations!):
• 3.1A: ges. gesch., G & W (But, WHY is the ‘g. g.’, in Small Letters, for this model?) – made as a 2 piece Patch, of a Wool Front Side & a ‘Moleskin’ Reverse – w the Maker’s Mark [in Silver Wire Thread] sewn onto a Separate Nylon Label, which is then stitched to the lower Reverse Tip. The Eagle’s LEFT Talon does NOT touch the arm of the Swastika below it. “Normal” Shaped Eagle Head.
• 3.1B: Non Maker Marked – made as a 2 piece Patch, of a Wool Front Side & a ‘Moleskin’ Reverse – Eagle’s LEFT Talon Does touch the arm of the Swastika below it. Large “Hammer Head” Eagle.
• 3.1C: ges. gesch., G & W - Cotton Thread – made as a 1 piece Patch, of Nylon material! Most Remarkable, is that the TeNo Eagle/Emblem is BeVo ‘Woven’ using Off-White Cotton Thread – & Not Silver Wire! The “ges. gesch., G & W” is Woven into the pattern, which is then folded over as 3 pieces, & is then hand sewn together! This is a very rarely found Type 3.1 TeNo Triangle Patch!
‘Führer / Officer’ Patch?: = NO. Referring to this TeNo Sleeve Eagle as the ‘Führer / Officer’ Patch is Not Correct! However ‘Almost ALL’ Dealers still refer to the TeNo Armscheibe Type 3.1 – DUNKELBLAU TRIANGLE w Eagle, in Silver Metallic Thread – as the TeNo ‘Führer / Officer’ Sleeve Eagle!
• WHY? Because in most other TR Orgs., Yes, the ‘Silver Wire’ Models of Patches were customarily designated for Officers.
But - this is NOT Correct for the TeNo, because:
• The 3.1 Silver Metallic Thread Triangle Patch is found on ‘untouched’ TeNo EM/NCO Uniforms (& TN Officer Uniforms).
• The 3.1 Silver Metallic Thread Triangle Patch is found on ‘untouched’ TeNo Drill / Drillich ‘Work’ Uniforms.
• The 3.1 Silver Metallic Thread Triangle Patch is easily ‘seen’ in period photos of TeNo EM’s & NCO’s (as well as Officers), as it has a distinctive ‘metallic’ shine to it, in sunlight.
• The 3.1C Cotton Thread Triangle Patch is almost Never found! So, “IF” this was intended to be the EM/NCO Eagle Triangle - then Examples would be found as > 100:1 (for each “1” Silver Metallic Thread Patch) – but, they are Not.
So, the Evidence is quite Clear – in that the 3.1 Silver Metallic Thread Patch was used for ALL members of the TN • TeNo. It was Not an “Officer Only” Sleeve Patch.
- ATTACHMENT: Type 3.1A + 3.1B + 3.1C TeNo Armscheibe BLUE EAGLE Examples
- TeNo 3.1 Eagles.jpg (295.93 KiB) Viewed 4390 times