Help identify banner

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
SVS

Help identify banner

Post by SVS »

I have a banner my father brought home from the war. i've learned it is a DAF Banner. Any information would be appreciated.
Attached was the following note:

"This flag was obtained in Stolberg, Germany off the Municipal Building. I was in a home we took over to use as a foward observer post. Stolberg was an industrial town where they were making Ford trucks, We were not allowed to shell the factory but we shelled the trucks as they left. This was in the fall of 1944.
We had to leave the observation post as a new lieutentant came in while I was there alone, he opened a shutter as he said we could see better. When he did that I started to wind up the telephone line. I told him we had to get out of there and we did, none too soon as a German 88 shell entered the room as soon as we left. I had no trouble with the lieutentant after that. The Germans had been looking for movement the same as us. This all took place before the start of the Bulge. we stayed in Stolberg for a long time and were there when the Battle of the Bulge started. We left for Belgium in a hurry. It was a long hard drive."

William E.
Bty C, 67th Field Artillery
Third Armored Division

Thanks
Peterc

Re: Help identify banner

Post by Peterc »

I can't add much to what you learnt on gunboards.com, but it is indeed a Deutschen Arbeitsfront (DAF) unit flag. The pane with the white embroidered district name of "Neumarkt 10" is edged in blue piping, signifing that this DAF unit was located within an Ortsgruppe (Black piping was used for units within a Kries). Source: Flags of the Third Reich 3: Party & Police Units

Information regarding DAF unit structures at http://www.feldgrau.com/daf.html

Maybe someone else can chime in with more detailed info regarding DAF units in Stolberg...