Fathers organization todt diary july 42

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
canadien
Supporter

Fathers organization todt diary july 42

Post by canadien »

July 1, Wednesday
My leave is scheduled for July 28th

July 2, Thursday
Romi 17 years old, letter Felix, Romi, 25

July 3, Friday
Richter back from Smolensk. Italians are back.

July 4, Saturday
Train reservation for July 27th.

July 5, Sunday
Letter to Romi, 26, to Aunt Moli and Mutti. Vollmeier has extended leave per doctor.

July 6, Monday
Fighter planes came by, bombs. At this moment 6 of them have not exploded. They suspect gas.

July 7, Tuesday
Letter to Geli

July 8, Wednesday

July 9, Thursday
Letter to Romi, 27

July 10, Friday

July 11, Saturday
From about 9:30 pm, one could see airplanes, bombs, shelling, one after the other. Bombs and more bombs, 80% of our window panes are broken. A bomb 20 m from our place, 4 men injured. Kripler injured head through helmet, 2 Ukranians and a man from security. Bauer has 5 men dead: camp leaders and 2 drivers. Railroad station is a mess. The roof of the roundhouse got blown off and 6 m long rail from 500 m away got forced through it. Ammunition is flying through the air. All night explosions. The air attack lasted through midnight.

July 12, Sunday
Work alarm. Cleanup work with different troops. Kogler is now again without (can’t read). A little man, just like all the others. He is always very friendly to me. Herr Richter has too many ideas and is more of an obstacle, since he changes the orders constantly.

July 13, Monday
Letter to Romi, 28

July 14, Tuesday
Kl‰mpfl is going on leave. Letter to Heini.

July 15, Wednesday

July 16, Thursday

July 17, Friday

July 18, Saturday
Letter to Gerti and Romi, 29

July 19, Sunday

July 20, Monday

July 21, Tuesday

July 22, Wednesday

July 23, Thursday
Vollmeier got his leave extended through the 29th.
July 24, Friday
Mater doesn’t want me to go on leave, too much work to do.

July 25, Saturday
Senf calls me: I can’t go on leave. After a lot of arguing, I do get to go. Pack my bags. Letter from Romi. A fighter is flying over Bryansk and drops one bomb. Alarm. Leave for bunker, but not without my train reservation in my pocket.

July 26, Sunday
Leave Bryansk at 7:30 am. Arrive Roslaval (Roslavl) at 5 pm. Leave Roslaval, arrive at Smolensk.

July 27, Monday
On leave. Smolensk. Stay through the 28th. Walk through town, saw a show that was very good.

July 28, Tuesday
Leave Smolensk at 5:20 am; through Minsk to Bialistok (Bialytok).

July 29, Wednesday
Bialistok, arrive here at 6:30 am. Delousing, done by 12 noon. Leave Bialistok at 5:50 pm.

July 30, Thursday
Start of my leave until August 20th. Lissa, Breslau, Vienna. Arrive there at 7 pm.

July 31, Friday
I register; leave for Salzburg at 8 pm