Volkssturm / Ritterkreuz?

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
Nordwest

Volkssturm / Ritterkreuz?

Post by Nordwest »

Last edited by Nordwest on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Yes they did, Michael!

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15036 :wink:

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Shadow
Patron

Re: Volkssturm / Ritterkreuz?

Post by Shadow »

Nordwest wrote:When was the the "very last" Ritterkreuz awarded, and to whom...?
I’m curious also. :D

Who was the last person to win the Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub ?

I show:

General Dietrich von Saucken

winning the last Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillianten on 08 May 1945

and

General Heinrich von Luttwitz,
General Otto Hitzfeld,
Oberstleutnant Karl Thieme, and
Oberstleutnant Josef Bremm

winning the last Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern on 09 May 1945.

Correct ?
Signed: "The Shadow"
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello Shadow!

The four Schwertenträger that you mention, Thieme (Swords no. 156), von Lüttwitz (Swords no. 157), Hitzfeld (Swords no. 158) and Bremm (Swords no. 159), have all been classified as non-legal bestowals since none of the very few highest military leaders that had the legal right to bestow the Knight's Cross etc. was authorizing these particular awards.

This is according to the meticulous archival research made by Veit Scherzer and presented in his book "Ritterkreuzträger" (2005). That the above mentioned Officers after the war were thought of as Schwertenträger by the OdR and the Federal goverment is another matter... They and some 200 other RKT were given their high awards in a wrongful way back in late april and early May of 1945, wrongful according to the then existing legal statures of the crumbling Third Reich!

The same goes for the Schertenträger Meindl (Swords no 155), Gräser (Swords no. 154), Bittrich (Swords no. 153), Stadler (Swords no. 152), Wisliceny (Swords no. 151), Weidinger (Swords no. 150 and finally Decker (Swords no. 149). These Officers are not Schertenträger according to Scherzer's definitions.

Then comes Generalmajor Hermann-Heinrich Behrend that recieved the Swords (without number) on 26.04.1945 while commanding the 490. Infanterie-Division. (His Swords "traditional nr. was 148). So, in light of this new research Behrend was the last german that was awarded the Swords to his Knight's Cross with Oakleaves.

The last of the "traditional Schwertenträger that Scherzer nullifies is General Hermann Niehoff, the last Kommandant of Festung Breslau who had the Swords numbered 147.

From Schwertenträger Generaloberst Blaskowitz and earlier, all the bestowals of the Swords was, and are legit...

Regards,

Krollspell
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Greetings Doktor K - :D

Many thanks for that information.

I must admit to my total ignorance, up until today, of the above mentioned facts.

Best regards,
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Major Hans-Peter Knaust was the last "official" winner of Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub as part of the 490th Infantry Division. Number 800 and something - dont have my books on me.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Revellations wrote:Major Hans-Peter Knaust was the last "official" winner of Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub as part of the 490th Infantry Division. Number 800 and something - dont have my books on me.

Cheers

Scott
:D Thanks Scott !! :D

I think he was #843.

Best regards,
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello Scott and Shadow!

The last official Eichenlaubenträger (again according to Scherzer, 2005) was Oberst Gerhard Mokros and he recieved the EL (without nr. but "traditionally" numbered 860) on 05.05.1945 while commanding Gren.Rgt. 423. Scherzer cancels 26 Eichenlaubenträger that recieved their awards on non-legal grounds. I'll be back with a list in a day or two...

Regards,

Krollspell
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Thanks Dr."K" !! :D

Hope you enjoy your "holidays" !! :wink:
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Thanks Herr Doktor!!!

At the time I was at work (like I am now) and didnt have my books on me. So to clarify - Knaust was the last person to receive an official number to the award (#843) but was not necessariliy the last person to officially win the award.

Thanks for the clarification (if I assumed correct :shock: ).

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Gentlemen!

See the following link for the continuation of our discussion...

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20605

Regards,

Krollspell