Best SS researchers/authors

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Best SS researchers/authors

Post by Mark C Yerger »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've seen questions and purchases of various books I consider to be absolute junk. Many are superficial, no new data (or all copied), and belong on the infant bargain table pile in bookstores. All researchers and historians make errors in their work, its a given in a complicated topic. However, there are a number of them that I would buy any new work they release sight unseen (most books I want to see first). In no order those I consider exceptional are:

Helmut Krausnick: His work with "Antaomy of the SS" and the Einsatzgruppen alone make the list

Georg Tessin: to compile his massive works, many before computers, is amazing

George Nipe: The only in depth researcher of battles and/or campaigns to correct decades of mistakes and myths in detail

John Moore: His patience and determination to copile data on the SS officer corps, essential to other researchers, filled a gap that nobody else I know would attempt

Kurt Imhoff: SS Pionier units historian who was the most prolific researcher I've known while he lived

Hans Stöber / Wilhelm Tieke: Both undertaking essential unit histories that lacked wartime material for research in many cases, investing years in veteran data compilation and many of the works are the best (and only) on the topics.

Phil Nix: For police and senior ranks, the best researcher I know, going into personality traits and the mix betwwen the numerous significant individuals.

Individuals who have done (again my opinion) generally single projects/topics thus far as their contribution, all of whom produced fantastic works (a partial list) that I doubt can or will be exceeded:

Otto Weidinger (2SS and Rgt DF histories)
Rudolf Lehmann/Rolf Tiemann (LAH)
Robert Koehl (The Black Corps)
Friedrich Husemann (Polizei Division)
George Lepre (13SS history)
Mike Miller (have seen his SS Generals manuscript)
Otto Kumm (7SS)
George Stein (The Waffen-SS)
Michael Melnyk (14SS)
Peter Black (Kaltenbrunner bio)
Andreas Schulz / Günther Wegmann (SS Generals)
Artur Silgailis (Latvian units)

Mark C. Yerger
Shadow
Patron

Re: Best SS researchers/authors

Post by Shadow »

Mark C. Yerger wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helmut Krausnick: His work with "Antaomy of the SS" and the Einsatzgruppen alone make the list

Georg Tessin: to compile his massive works, many before computers, is amazing

George Nipe: The only in depth researcher of battles and/or campaigns to correct decades of mistakes and myths in detail

John Moore: His patience and determination to copile data on the SS officer corps, essential to other researchers, filled a gap that nobody else I know would attempt

Kurt Imhoff: SS Pionier units historian who was the most prolific researcher I've known while he lived

Hans Stöber / Wilhelm Tieke: Both undertaking essential unit histories that lacked wartime material for research in many cases, investing years in veteran data compilation and many of the works are the best (and only) on the topics.

Phil Nix: For police and senior ranks, the best researcher I know, going into personality traits and the mix betwwen the numerous significant individuals.

Mark C. Yerger
And to the above list, without hesitation, I would add:

German Cross in Gold Winners (Holders of the SS and Police)., R. James Bender Publishing

German Cross in Silver Winners (Holders of the SS and Police)., R. James Bender Publishing.

Waffen-SS Commanders~ The Army, Corps and Divisional Leaders of a Legend: Augsberger to Kreutz, Schiffer Publishing, 1997

Waffen-SS Commanders~ The Army, Corps and Divisional Leaders of a Legend: Krüger to Zimmermann, Schiffer Publishing, 1999

Allgemeine-SS- The Commands, Units and Leaders of the General SS, Schiffer Publishing, 1997

Images of the Waffen-SS: A Photo Chronicle of Germany's Elite Troops, Schiffer Publishing, 1996

Riding East: The SS Cavalry Brigade in Poland and Russia 1939-1942, Schiffer Publishing, 1996

Knights of Steel~ The Structure, Development and Personalities of the 2.SS-Panzer-Division "Das Reich", Volume 1, Horetsky, 1989

Knights of Steel~ The Structure, Development and Personalities of the 2.SS-Panzer-Division "Das Reich", Volume 2, author-published, Box 4485 Lancaster, PA 17604, 1994

SS-Sturmbannführer Ernst August Krag, Schiffer Publishing, 1996

SS-Obersturmbannführer Otto Weidinger, J.J. Fedorowicz, 1989

Otto Kumm, J.J. Fedorowicz, 1990

By our most humble moderator.

Best Regards -
Signed: "The Shadow"
Rudi Welz
Supporter

Best SS-Researchers

Post by Rudi Welz »

To the lists I would add:
Seven Days in January by Wolf T. Zoepf, forworded by Brigadier General Theodore C.Mataxis,published by The Aberjona Press in Bedford and
Black Edelweiss by Johann Voss, published by The Aberjona Press too.

Both books show the fights of the 6. Waffen-SS-Gebirgsdivision "NORD" in Northern Karelia and the Operation Nordwind in the Vosges Mountains of France in January 1945.

Best Regards
Rudi
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

In addition to the fine list so far, I would also add Marc Rikmenspoel, author of "Soldiers of the Waffen-SS: Many Nations, One Motto", "For Rex and for Belgium: Leon Degrelle and Walloon Political & Military Collaboration 1940-45", and "Waffen-SS: The Encyclopedia" which is an excellent overview (far better than any other mass-produced chain store oveview).
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

And also Wolgang Vopersal with its superb series on the Totenkopf division - Soldaten, Kämpfer, Kamerden.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Mark - Thanks a million for the great comments! I agree completely with the other names on your list and I would put your name at the top if I was making such a list.

John
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Agree with most of the above.
Any new books by Hugh Page Taylor I would not hesitate to pre-order.

Hugh,
If you're "listening" - any update on Volume 6 (I haven't given up hoping!) and your research on the SS & Police in Itlay?

Peter
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Mark

What is your opinion of Michael Reynolds who did 'Steel Inferno', 'Men of Steel,' 'Sons of the Reich' and 'Devil's Adjutent: Jochen Peiper?'

I've read two of them and found a lot of interesting data in I SS Pz and am considering getting 'Sons of the Riech' to learn more about 9/10 SS.

cheers
reb
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Reb

I found his "Steel Inferno" well written but mostly taken from already published works (lacking documented sources and bibliography/sources other than published books), compared to original research of uncovered topics. Just my personal view.

Mark
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Thanks Mark

My main issue was with the facts. I've long had questions about some issues he addressed - particularly regarding casualties in Normandy and organization subsequently and his data on that looked reasonable.

So many books I've read have quoted the same tired sources endlessly and many are written from the 'heroic' aspect where the 'vaunted SS panzers at full strength' were repulsed here or there. I don't have the time to do all the research I'd like yet I want to understand tactical situations better than that light weight approach permits.

I appreciate you posting that book list too, that will be helpful.

best
reb
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

I agree and add Wolfgang Vopersal (for 3SS study) and Hugh Page Taylor (especially for his 5 vols SS set with Bender). In my original list I went with those whose texts stand out (my opinion) or have contributed heavily in some instances to various works. Personally, I don't consider photo books much in the way of research, often containing whatever photos were available. They sell, but teach little and involve less research than non-photo album books. Obviously what some like/dislike, others think the opposite. Keep the postings polite.

Mark C. Yerger
Das_Reich

Post by Das_Reich »

Christoph Awender wrote:Tas-RAich when will you leave us and go where you belong... you are not even annyoing any more... just plain, simply boring and not worth the seconds reading your posts.

\Christoph Avenwender
1-2-3-4-5- seconds and counting!
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello PEter!

"Hugh,
If you're "listening" - any update on Volume 6 (I haven't given up hoping!) and your research on the SS & Police in Itlay?"

I have regular & close contact with HPT, and he is busy with several projects, including the works of Scorzeny.
Hugh is not much on internet these days either.

B
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Thanks for the mention, Jason. I would add to the names already mentioned those of two more veterans. First is Ewald Klapdor, who served with Wiking and Frundsberg and wrote books on SS-PR 5 and the II. SS-Panzerkorps in Galicia and Normandy. The other veteran is Jan Vincx, a Fleming who served in Wiking and was proposed for the Honor Roll Clasp. Vincx authored a very detailed 7 volume set on Flemish collaboration (more than simply the Waffen-SS) and co-authored a highly detailed 4 volume set on the Dutch Waffen-SS.

For non-veterans, I would add my colleague Eddy De Bruyne to the list. His French language works are the best done on Degrelle and the Walloon collaboration. It was an honor for me to be able to "collaborate" with him on an English text based on his French books.

I also think highly of Michael Melnyk's Ukrainian Division book, and the research Rudolf Pencz has done into latewar formations (such as his study of the 31. SS-FGD, which has been translated into English).
Groscurth
Contributor
Location: Couloir Gervasuti,east side of Mont Blanc du Tacul.

Post by Groscurth »

Marc, Who is editing your book and Eddy's book in Belgium/France.
In short where to find it. I live in France but I often come back in Flanders.
Fnac? (No, allready asked). In Belgium, the small "De Krijger?"

Please help.
-"Two things are unendless: the universe and human stupidity. But I am not so sure about the universe" Einstein
-Question: "Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?" Answer: "To prevent the sensible ones from going home!" Anonymous