Waffen-SS reunions

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

I don't believe it....my surviving grandpas and great uncles (Wehrmacht) didn't hate the SS...
haen1
Supporter

reunions and punishment

Post by haen1 »

Hello Helmut.
The punishment for real plundering was actually severe. But digging throug an abandoned house for socks or a piece of clean underwear, probably was not seen as this. However as i said this öplundering" of meatpreserves (in glass jars) gave us punisment within a couple of hours. :D

As for reunions, I have NO idea whether there were any reunions in the U.S., but when I still was in Holland (until 1960) I could have gone to a few in Germany. They were "forbidden" in Holland. Although there have been a few nevertheless. Meanwhile I also was a noncom in the Royal Netherlands Armny, as well as an instructor trainer noncom for the Duitch Red Cross Ambulance corps (volunteer) So I figured I had no time for other things. Until it was too late.
Oh well.
HN
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

The situation in Europe is still the same in many countries. With many left-wingers and commies and bolshies still trumpeting loudly the "criminal" gatherings of these unrepentent "fascists and Hitlerite criminals"

For example, Tscherkassy veterans all over from Europe were supposed to gather for their reunion and Bad Wiedesheim in early 2005 but due to the pressure from local council, it was cancelled after how the hotel rooms booked for these old veterans were suddenly "unbooked"

Also, one of the veterans posted in this forum can tell you that their gathering at Karlstein, Bad-Reichenhall in the memoriam of the murdered French SS volunteers of the Charlemagne Division in 2005 had agents of Verfassungschutz observing just in case these old veterans "raised their right arms in honoring" the victims

Panzermahn
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

panzermahn wrote:The situation in Europe is still the same in many countries. With many left-wingers and commies and bolshies still trumpeting loudly the "criminal" gatherings of these unrepentent "fascists and Hitlerite criminals"

For example, Tscherkassy veterans all over from Europe were supposed to gather for their reunion and Bad Wiedesheim in early 2005 but due to the pressure from local council, it was cancelled after how the hotel rooms booked for these old veterans were suddenly "unbooked"

Also, one of the veterans posted in this forum can tell you that their gathering at Karlstein, Bad-Reichenhall in the memoriam of the murdered French SS volunteers of the Charlemagne Division in 2005 had agents of Verfassungschutz observing just in case these old veterans "raised their right arms in honoring" the victims

Panzermahn
sigh.... communists and political correctness are so f+++in gay! :x

helmut
bdtj1815

Post by bdtj1815 »

I was invited to attend a reunion of the LAH the following month. Unfortunately I was unable to attend. I found out later, reading in the STARS and STRIPES, that the LAH reunion turned into a virtual riot by left wingers.
I might be able to shed some light on this incident. At the time I was a young subaltern serving with 2nd Regt Royal Artillery in BAOR, based in Munster.

Like many units in Germany we ran a regimental ski hut in Bavaria which was attended by soldiers from the regiment. In the nearby town, name forgotten unfortunately, was a rather smart hotel which the younger officers used to visit regularly. Having become quite friendly with some of the staff we were warned by them that they were hosting a reunion of SS soldiers, although I do not remember them mentioning from which unit, and that "students" from Munich were intending to protest.

Not wishing to risk becoming involved in any trouble we avoided the place for the weekend of the reunion. We returned a few days later to find the hotel looking like a bomb had hit it! Apparently a group of students had broken into the main dining room during the reunion dinner and found to their cost why the SS had such a formidable reputation!! As one member of the hotel staff put it; "we had to call for ambulances but all the wounded were under 25 years of age". Apparently after the brief skirmish the veterans returned to their meal, complaining only that the food had got cold whilst they dealt with the intruders.

Obviously I cannot be sure it is the same event but the timing is about right.
Helmut Von Moltke

bdtj1815 wrote:
I was invited to attend a reunion of the LAH the following month. Unfortunately I was unable to attend. I found out later, reading in the STARS and STRIPES, that the LAH reunion turned into a virtual riot by left wingers.
I might be able to shed some light on this incident. At the time I was a young subaltern serving with 2nd Regt Royal Artillery in BAOR, based in Munster.

Like many units in Germany we ran a regimental ski hut in Bavaria which was attended by soldiers from the regiment. In the nearby town, name forgotten unfortunately, was a rather smart hotel which the younger officers used to visit regularly. Having become quite friendly with some of the staff we were warned by them that they were hosting a reunion of SS soldiers, although I do not remember them mentioning from which unit, and that "students" from Munich were intending to protest.

Not wishing to risk becoming involved in any trouble we avoided the place for the weekend of the reunion. We returned a few days later to find the hotel looking like a bomb had hit it! Apparently a group of students had broken into the main dining room during the reunion dinner and found to their cost why the SS had such a formidable reputation!! As one member of the hotel staff put it; "we had to call for ambulances but all the wounded were under 25 years of age". Apparently after the brief skirmish the veterans returned to their meal, complaining only that the food had got cold whilst they dealt with the intruders.

Obviously I cannot be sure it is the same event but the timing is about right.
sure glad those politicaly correct freaks learnt a lesson... but heh heh, don't take this post as political skinhead stuff. just my 2 cents... :D

helmut
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

bdtj1815 wrote:Apparently a group of students had broken into the main dining room during the reunion dinner and found to their cost why the SS had such a formidable reputation!!
Reminds me about that story with this german pensioner who got in a fight because of a towel and who sacked his much younger adversary (who later found out said "frail" senior was once Waffen-SS)! :evil: :D
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

[quote="bdtj1815

Obviously I cannot be sure it is the same event but the timing is about right.[/quote]

Servus,
I don't believe that this was the same incident. The I PZ KORPS incident
of which I speak took place in Kassel. Still it demonstrates why the veterans are so gun shy.

Also, as to the comments about other branches of the Wehrmacht hating the Waffen SS. I remember when I was stationed in Berlin in the '70s I used to hang out with some FJ veterans ( The Kameradschaft Brauer). They told me that they had only the highest respect for the Waffen SS and during the war if they were pulled out of line for a rest, they knew they could rest easy if a W-SS unit was covering their sector, but if a Wehrmacht unit was covering, they slept with their rifles. I cannot attest to the accuracy of this remark but I repeat it hear to show that they had the highest respect for the SS, even after 30+ years after the war.

Regards,

Helmut
Helmut Von Moltke

intresting, other Helmut, although this rather late reply, what was the Divisions in which these FJ vets seved in? Becuase to be accurate, we might have to look up thier Divisional histories and see if their Divisions seved alongside Waffen SS...
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus Helmut,
My friends in Berlin belonged to various units among them being the 1,2,3,5,9 FJ Divs, FJ Lehr Regt. Some in Russian, Africa, Crete and Normandy. In other words, at various times, in various units, on various fronts.

Regards,

Helmut
Helmut Von Moltke

thanks, should be in Normady then. :wink:
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Helmut,
If memory serves, the FJ Lehr Regt fought in the Baltic coutries during teh summer and fall of 1944.

Regards,

Helmut
Helmut Von Moltke

Helmut wrote:Helmut,
If memory serves, the FJ Lehr Regt fought in the Baltic coutries during teh summer and fall of 1944.

Regards,

Helmut
ah well, then the story would probably be true, as 11.SS Panzer Division 'Nordland', the Latvian SS Divisions, etc fought there. :wink:
Matt

Post by Matt »

Good thread - thanks to the veterans for sharing.