32.SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division "30.Januar"

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
pmodesti

32.SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division "30.Januar"

Post by pmodesti »

Looking for any information on this unit. My uncle apparently was assigned to this unit but never heard from again. Trying every avenue of information.

Thanks.
Dackelstaffel
Contributor

Post by Dackelstaffel »

Hi,

This is all I've got from my book. I've had to scan it ant to use a translation software.

32 SS Panzer Grenadier Division « 30 Januar » January 1945-March 1945
32 SS Freiwilligen Grenadier Division « 30 Januar » March 1945 – May 1945

Composition :
SS Freiwilligen Grenadier Regiment 86
SS Freiwilligen Grenadier Regiment 87
SS Freiwilligen Artillerie Regiment 32
SS Füs.Btl 32
SS Jagd-Panzer Abteilung 32
SS Flak Abteilung 32
SS Pionier Bataillon 32
SS Nachr-Abt 32
SS Felders Bataillon 32
SS Versorg.Rgt 32 ( with SS-Verw.Tr.Abt. 32)

Commander :
Standartenfuher Muhlenkamp January 1945 – 5th february 1945
Standartenfuhrer Richter 5-17 february 1945
Oberfuhrer Ax 17th february- Mid march 1945
Standartenfuher Kempin Mid-march 1945- may 1945

History:

The constitution of this division begins in January 1945 on the training ground from Kurmark (area of Grunow-Briesen) under the direction from SS-Standartenführer Mühlekamp, inspector of the troops armoured with the SS-FHA. The setting-up is done under the constant threat of the Soviet advance what requires a displacement on the front of Oder. About January 25/27, the first companies made up are gathered and form Kampfgruppe " Kurmark " sent on the face in the sector of Frankfurt on Oder. January 30, 1945, division receives the name of 32. SS-Panzer-Grenadier-division " 30 Januar " (January 30, 1933, date of arrival to the capacity of Hitler as chancellor), It includes two Grenadier Regiment numbered 86 and 87
(SS-Freiw.Gren.Rgt.). The recruits result partly from the personnel of origin and the conscripts of the center of instruction of Kurmark as well as units of reserve stationed in Lieberose, Grunow and Guben-Neuzelle. Others come from the school of the warrant officers of Lauenbourg in Pomerania ( in german : Pommern). All that, it is necessary to add persons on leave of Waffen-SS in the course of transfer towards East ( or esatern) Prussia and retained to Frankfurt-on-Oder. Upon the departure, this unit is thus made up of very disparate elements.

Division is engaged for the first time towards the end of January 1945 with V SS-Korps (9. Armee) on Eastern bank of Oder and against the Soviet head of bridge in the south of Frankfurt-on-Oder in the sector of Brieskow, Finkenheer-Lindow, Gut Aurith and Vogelsang. From February 2, the units from the " 30 Januar ", progressively with their arrival on the face, organize briefs blows of hand against this head of bridge. During the first fortnight of February, division carries out small counter-attacks in order to reinforce and to stabilize, the
face of Oder. Mid-February at the beginning of March 1945, it reorganizes and is reconstituted without taking part in combat of scale. In March 1945, all the units of division are finally gathered and the completed setting-up. In mid-April, the division, which was to be raised of its sector of face by units of Heer and Volkssturm, remains on its positions because of the great Soviet offensive towards Berlin. The " 30 Januar " fights with ardour against the Red Army between April the 16 and 18. April 21, of the elements of the ll.lSS-Freiw. Gren. Rgt. 86 and of It SS-Freiw. Gren. Rgt. 87 with the staff of SS-Freiw.Gren.Rgt. 86 are engaged in the opening towards Berlin. They are joined April the 22 and 23 by the l.lSS-Freiw.Gren.Rgt. 86 and l.lSSFreiw.Gren.Rgt 87 and the staff of SS-Freiw.Gren. Rgt. 87.
This opening fails and these units are found encircled in Forstamt Hammer in the north of Halbe. It is in this pocket that the remainders of division are crushed by the Red Army. Only some elements manage to escape. Passing by Halbe, Baruth and Sperenberg, they join the 12. Armee with Beelitz not without undergoing heavy losses. May 6, 1945, these remainders go to the American troops on Elba in Tangermünde with the remains of other divisions of Waffen-SS.

hope it's could help. Sorry for the bad quality of translation.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket.
pmodesti

Post by pmodesti »

Dackelstaffel- Thank you for the information.

I am just starting my research but am beginning to see that the Germans did not keep very good records. Especially of who the soldiers were that made up their units. My mother thinks they may know where her brother is buried based on some information a long time ago but the grave is a mass grave of soldiers and from what we know the German goverment would never open to try and solve who they are. With all we know about DNA today, we should not have any unknown soldiers. Thanks.

Appreciate your help.
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi,

you're welcome. Good luck for your future researchs. What you want needs time, patience and effort, so don't be disappointed if you don't find something quickly. Just keep on searching. Did you try the bundesarchiv ?

So long.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket