Post by Mark C Yerger »

If someone cares to write them in detail, I'd like to read volumes on:

1) 1.SS-Inf Brg (mot)
2) Kdo Stab RFSS
3) Belg. Btl RFSS
4) Flak Abt “Ost”
5) SS-Hauptamt
6) SS-FHA
7) RSHA (offices and holders, beyond Browder's books)
8) Totenkopfstandarten
9) biographies (various)
10) early SS (1923-33) with details included of individuals
11) SS schools and training areas in specific, individually beyond the Junkerschulen book by Munin

Mark
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

I'd like to see a detailed, accurate book that follows the III.(germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps from Oranienbaum to Berlin, with many personal accounts and new photos. Many existing books give a piece of the puzzle, but I've pretty much decided I'll have to write the definitive work myself. I consider the Germanic Waffen-SS section in my Encyclopedia as a sort of small rough draft.
George Lepre

SS books I'd like to read

Post by George Lepre »

Hi guys -

There are several other units I'd like to see covered:

Fruendberg (the book Harmel was writing; Mark Y. knows this story)

Maria Theresia (especially pre-Budapest)

***30. Waffen Gren. d. der SS (weissruthenien) (There is a lot of history here - this division had a mutiny in which over 200 Germans were killed. Also, the 30th was engaged against the western allies in battles that have received little historical attention. There should be quite a bit of documentation about this division in the French S.H.A.T. and the U.S. National Archives.

30. Januar

35. Polizei II (There is a great passage in Beevor's Berlin book about this division. The Russians captured one of the regiment commanders and interogated him at length. What a great source)

37. Luetzow

Best regards,

George Lepre
pimberg
Supporter

SS Books I'd Like to Read

Post by pimberg »

I'd like to see:
- a detailed book on the epic battles of the IV SS -Pz Korps outside Warsaw in mid/late 1944
- a biography of Gottlob Berger
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

1) The battle for Narwa
2) SS fallschirmjägers
3) The battle for Budapest
4) Biographies
5) Unit histories
6) The baltic countries 1941
7) SS Standarte Kurt Eggers

Please tell me by pm if there already are books that specifically deals with any of these topics.

regards
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Georg Maier's massive Budapest book being translated by Fedorowicz Publishing at some point in the near future.

I'm unsure what happended to Harmel's 10SS work, it was far more detailed than the disappointing Heimdal book on the division.

I have excerpts from a massive (800+ pages) veteran assembeled study of 32SS but my pleas they print it or offer to a publisher got no response for reasons unknown.

A biography is smaller size (comparable to mine of Krag, Weidinger, etc) was supposed to be in process on Wünsche but the author faded out and have heard nothing for some time. I don't know if it was to include Wünsche's dozens of taped recollections.

There are a number of books in odd languages with a wealth of data/perspective but publisher's seem rather uninterested unless they have 300 photos. Many publishers think the average reader is to dumb to actually read instead of just look at photos. The books by Jan Vincz come to mind as being especially worthy.

There are also a number of period books worth redoing with updated/added information, though most have large gaps if simply translated and issued.

Mark
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

For Charlie, Antonio Munoz's Forgotten Legions : Obscure Combat Formations of the Waffen-SS has a long section on the SS-FJ Bataillonen 500 & 600. Combined with the Munin/Nation Europa photo book, you can get a decent impression of the unit.

As to Budapest, the battle for the city and the Konrad relief efforts have ok coverage in Perry Pierik's Hungary 19444-1945 : The Forgotten Tragedy.

Also, as to Narva, Tieke's work(s) on the III. (germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps is about the best source now available. His Tragodie um die Treue has been translated into English, and the Fedorowicz edition includes the text and photos from the German supplement Korps Steiner : Nactrage zu dem Truppengeschichte.
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Thanks for pinting that out Marc! Still there are no books whih specifically deals with the battles or units and that's sad.

best regards
Erich
Enthusiast

Post by Erich »

I understand that there is a book being written at this time on the Schwere SS Panzer Abteilung 102/502.......

Drama between Budapest und Wien.......where is this book anyway ? :wink:

E
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Schneider, who did Tiger books for Fedorowicz, contacted me by regular regards his sSS-Pz Abt 102/502 book. I e-mailed him and offered to exchange data but got no reply. Unknown when its due, etc.

Mark
Erich
Enthusiast

102/502 book.....

Post by Erich »

Mark :

the particular book that I mentioned is being done by the vets and their sons of the SS Heavy Panzer battalion.
So I am not sure where Schneider comes into this......

E
Punk_Waffen

Gestapo

Post by Punk_Waffen »

Heres an excellant book on the SS:
GESTAPO Instrument Of Tyranny by Edward Crankshaw
its a black book with GESTAPo written in red on the top, and the SS symbol in gray and red in the mid to lower part of the cover

Cheers,
PW
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Erich

I assume Schneider is doing his book for Fedorowicz Publishing. He since replied, I'll ask him when he returns my last e-mail.

Mark