LSSAH and ani-partisan warfare...

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Timo
Patron

LSSAH and ani-partisan warfare...

Post by Timo »

Can somebody point out where and when LSSAH was involved in anti-partisan warfare and which LSSAH units were involved?

Thanks in advance,
Timo
Former member
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

In '43 there was a big anti-partisan action here in Slovenia, in which there was from LSSAH (I post several questions about those units; do you remember :wink: ). Anyway the reinforced SS-Pz.Rgt. 1 was involved from 29.5.'43 to 9.10.'43 under the command of 2. SS-Pz.Korps. Units (LSSAH, 71. Inf.Div., 44. Gren.Div. »Hoch- und Deutschmeister«, 162. »turkenstanische« Div. and some smaller units) were under the command of Hausser and Rommel.

LSSAH commited some war crimes here.

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

Interesting reply. Thanks Kocjo. Can you detail these crimes and the LSSAH units and officers involved?
Former member
Kocjo
Enthusiast

Post by Kocjo »

There are no (or I should say limited) info on LSSAH's warcrimes. For sure it is, that they had burned some villages, but if they commited more serious crimes, there are no records (so I presume, that this unit didn't commited any major war-crimes here in Slovenia).

Regards,
Kocjo
Slovenija gre naprej!
2311Marine
Supporter

Post by 2311Marine »

I seem to remember Pieper got into some trouble with some Partisan Activity in Italy. I believe he was either cleared of wrong doing or it never went to trial. I don't have more currently but will look into it.

Cheers
"Devildogs and Leathernecks, Thank God for Ammo Techs!"
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

2311Marine wrote:I seem to remember Pieper got into some trouble with some Partisan Activity in Italy. I believe he was either cleared of wrong doing or it never went to trial. I don't have more currently but will look into it.

Cheers
aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh

I propose the death penalty for anyone who makes that error in this forum from now on.
Former member
2311Marine
Supporter

Post by 2311Marine »

Ok, it might be an error. I do believe that such an investigation did take place. I will do my own research but thanks for heads up, DEATH is a bit harsh..... HA hA.

CHEERS
"Devildogs and Leathernecks, Thank God for Ammo Techs!"
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

2311Marine wrote:Ok, it might be an error. I do believe that such an investigation did take place. I will do my own research but thanks for heads up, DEATH is a bit harsh..... HA hA.

CHEERS
PEIPER
Former member
wombat
Supporter

Post by wombat »

why do americans always do this ey?
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

They do it again and again, and don't realize or care. Yet if we would call their president mister Boesh we would be considered stupid :wink:
Former member
John W. Howard

"i" before "e" except after "c"

Post by John W. Howard »

Dear Timo and Wombat:
Every American child grows up learning this little saying in grade school:
"i before e except after c". There are a few exceptions but it generally holds true, so it is ingrained in the American psyche to put i's before e's, leading to horrors like "Pieper" and "Liebstandarte". Only we enlightened individuals who have studied some German realize the error of our ways, and even we get it wrong occasionally when in a hurry. Thank God we have our Dutch comrades to point out the error of our ways!!!! Be patient Timo and Wombat, and gently chide us when we err!! Firing squads at dawn seems a little rash! Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

I can't remember the exact location, but Peiper and others were accused of war crimes against Italian partisans, on the basis that they were civilians. The defence proved that some partisans were issued medals by Italian Government, hence soldiers, not civilians.

Roger
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

Boves (near Cuneo), 18.09.1943
Former member
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

Yes, Timo, that's it. There is a short mention of it in G.H. Stein's 'The Waffen SS, Hitler's Elite Guard at War'. It's a good book that's stood the test of time.

Roger
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Roger,

Just to back up what you wrote about Stein's book. I bought a copy about two months ago. It seems to be available cheap in bargain book shops at the moment.

Cheers,

Sid.