CD review

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

CD review

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Führerliste der Waffen-SS by John Morre (CD format)
Technology can be wonderful, especially when a research tool becomes available for those with a variety of interests. This multiple volume set, which can be purchased as a section or in total, provides material for a variety of areas. The massive listing of officers is of value to historians, as well as collectors investigating militaria items by SS number or name. More than 12,000 period documents for award winners and significant personalities is essential for document or photo collectors to avoid the pitfalls of forged signatures by showing wartime examples, in addition to the historical information they contain. The number of names in the separate officer list far exceeds those listed by "The Key" that used an incomplete set of DAL and actually provided no data of worth, this set also adding the date of death in the postwar years where known. The series is profusely illustrated with photos of the gravesites of the most famous personalities whose final resting place in many cases only recently came to light. A research work of massive proportions, the effort needed in compiling it is possibly only appreciated by those who have gone beyond reading books in search of data. For purchases contact the author at [email protected]
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

I just received my set today, and while it seemingly costs a small fortune, it is actually a bargain compared to the costs involved in travelling to DC or otherwise acquiring countless rolls of microfilm. It has the whatever is left in the files of hundreds of officers and other personalities, including all sorts of interesting "warts." I've already cleared up one mystery that had troubled me since the publication of my first book. Why did Reichsdeutscher (and later Knight's Cross winner) Karl Picus attend the 1. Lehrgang für germanische Offiziere? His file shows that he was assigned to the faculty at Bad Tölz while still an NCO during his recovery from wounds, and once he was selected for officer training, he was simply assigned to the next course to organize, which happened to be the Germanic one!

At last, it will be possible to fill in all the gaps in the works of Schneider and Krätschmer, as well as for the careers of other high award winners, and for hundreds of other officers and personalities. This set of CDs is a treasure trove of information, and I paid the hefty price with no hesitation. I'm delighted to own the set!
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Containing some of the more important parts of each personnel file, I agree with Mark as per my previous review. It gives the reader enough insight to determine specific interests or if further researcg is needed, such as if certain award holders are connected to a particular battle for the decoration to warrant inclusion and expanded research for battle related texts. For those of us who travel, I'll be notating the gavesites of individuals within my own interest areas.

Mark
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

Today I found my package from John in my mail.

First impression: it's impossible to compare this with the original first edition of the Führerliste der Waffen-SS, as the new set of several disks contains so much more. The added disks with Personalakten give details such as service records, award dates, recommendations for awards with full descriptions of the actions for which the award is given, pre-SS details, etc., etc. An endless source of facts, which normally can only be collected by spending thousands of dollars on microfilm and xeroxed files from a considerable number of archives in the USA and Europe.

Just my 2 cents,
Timo
Former member
HaEn
WWII Vet

liste

Post by HaEn »

Timo, what do you see on: Friederich Ziegler, Auke Pattist, ???BATTIST, and Evert Teunissen. Thanks. HN.
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Bravo, John P. Moore!

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

I concur with all who've commented thus far.

Here is some additional information and a link to a page at ABR which lists the contents of each CD-Rom.

Best wishes,
~ Mike Miller / ABR

Führerliste der Waffen-SS by John P. Moore
Revised and greatly expanded, May 2003 !!!

Führerliste der Waffen-SS is a book on CD representing over 20 years of research. It is 1,227 pages that highlight the careers of approximately 26,000 officers of the Waffen-SS and their fates. Much of the information was obtained from their actual personnel records contained on 907 rolls of microfilm in the author's possession, 40 Kriegstagbuchs and other wartime documents. A number of former Waffen-SS officers representing most specialties and divisions have reviewed this list for correctness and have also contributed substantial information. Text portions are in both English and German.

Führerliste has undergone a major revision in May 2003 and has been expanded from one CD to seven with the inclusion of 13,019 pages of the most important documents from 1,330 personnel files (Personalakten) from members of the Waffen-SS and Polizei who received high awards. These are the same documents that were previously maintained by the Berlin Document Center and are now available on microfilm from the US National Archives or on paper from the Bundesarchiv. To many of these files the author has added other unique documents or photos received from the individuals themselves. All of the original documents, many of which had damage from fire or water, have been digitally via Adobe PhotoShop and a Canon 8000F scanner. These documents are in JPEG graphic format.

For further information, click the following URL: http://www.geocities.com/~orion47/JohnMoore.html

I have had the good fortune of seeing Mr. Moore's remarkable work, and give it the highest possible rating. No military research library should be without it.

Orders should be submitted to:

J.P. MOORE PUBLISHING
8463 SW Tygh Loop
Portland, OR 97062
U.S.A.
E-mail: [email protected]
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian
camp upshur

Post by camp upshur »

Gentlemen,

Could you please expound upon the "text portions are in both English and German"? Does this mean that Mr Moore's narrative is in english and that all documents are displayed in the german form, or are translations provided for all original german documents? Thanks in advance.

R/S
Doug Nash
Author

John Moore's Effort

Post by Doug Nash »

I just got my set from John the other day and it is a fantastic tool - truly a labor of love. And the price is very reasonable, when you consider the time, money and sweat equity that would entail you going in person to the archives or buy all of the microfilm rolls needed to put together a set like this. Finally, you can go straight to the source for these materials instead of having to rely on various research firms that cost you an arm and two legs just to get the basics. A monumental work indeed that will stand the test of time and increase in value to anyone seriously interested in studying the Waffen-SS.
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

What is the cost?
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

camp upshur wrote:Gentlemen,

Could you please expound upon the "text portions are in both English and German"? Does this mean that Mr Moore's narrative is in english and that all documents are displayed in the german form, or are translations provided for all original german documents? Thanks in advance.

R/S
There are no translations for the included scans of original documents.
Former member
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Thank you for all of the kind words and thanks to all who have already purchased this documentation. Quite a few people have contacted me to ask if it was necessary to purchase all of the CDs at once. The answer is NO and each of the four parts can be purchased individually or in combination. I would encourage anyone who has never seen official Waffen-SS officer records to purchase Part 4 because of the variety of documents to be found together with its low price of $50.
HaEn
WWII Vet

cd's

Post by HaEn »

Too bad, that many of us vet- oldtimers live on small fixed incomes, and have no access to them. Oh well. HN.
ghost
Supporter

Masterpiece

Post by ghost »

From time to time, an outstanding individual who is both perceptive and extremely dilgent, produces an historical work of lasting importance in a particular field. One such example is surely Alexander Dallins book 'German Rule in Russia' which has stood the test of time and serves as a wonderful example to us all of how to write. In my view, another such example has to be John Moore's work. I for one cannot imagine that a greater and more useful research tool will be produced within the next 15 - 20 years. How do you put a price on a work with such an exceptional longevity?

Mike Melnyk
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Führerliste Update

Post by John P. Moore »

Last month I spent three weeks in Europe where I attended several veterans reunions and met with other researchers. I also visited 10 German military cemeteries in France (Bourdon, St. Desir, La Cambe, Marigny, Orglandes, Bayeux, Mont-de-Huisnes, Champigny St.André, Andilly and Noyers-Pont-Maugis and three in Germany near the French border (Zweibrücken, Dahn and Schwalbach-Elm) where I made new digital photos of all Waffen-SS officer and Ritterkreuzträger graves. Yvo Janssens has also provided digital photos of the graves of Gruppenfüher Jürs and others during his recent trip to Austria. The Kriegsgräber section of Part 1 has now increased to 803 photos.