Copying/posting book material

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Mansal D

Re: Copying/posting book material

Post by Mansal D »

Could I post from a book I published or is that still infringement on the publisher who has a right to a percentage as well? :?
Vor
Contributor

Re:

Post by Vor »

John P. Moore wrote:To anyone who insists on taking a liberal interpretation of copyright law when posting photos or other material from copyrighted books or other media I issue the following challenge: Have the courage of your convictions to include your real name and address in every such future post where you engage in that behavior. Don't hide behind some mysterious screen name.
Very late in reply to this, but what you ask for is done every day dozens of times on modeling forums. Myself included.

If someone posts a picture from a book to discuss or a paragraph to demonstrate a point, there has never been an issue to my knowledge. This discussion is what fuels more sales, and the publishers know this. A rising tide lifts all boats.

It is the misguided rigid adherence to copyright that kills innovation. Don't apply what happened in the record industry to history books. They are two completely different forms of art.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Vor - Your comments are noted. Feldgrau is NOT a modeling forum and the copyright holders here don't want their copyrights infringed upon.
John Moore
Vor
Contributor

Post by Vor »

John P. Moore wrote: copyright holders here e
who?
Vor
Contributor

Post by Vor »

I guess I'm not too familiar with the crimes committed in the past, as this is a really old thread. I'll leave it to you whether or not to bring me up to speed.
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

It depends on how much is posted and to some extent what the purpose is I believe. There is a fair use provision that allows you to post a limited amount without violating copyright if you follow the provisions of that clause. One of those provisions is giving due credit. Now if it's the author that is posting there may also be contractual restraints base on agreements with the publisher.
dgc47

Post by dgc47 »

Common sense should kick in......if it's not yours, don't take it without permission.

Totally agree with Mark's opening post, he and other authors have worked damned hard for our benefit. Respect the work these guys do.